I found something in mah Garage!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Steamdnt
PSN Username:xboxlive_adm
I found something in mah Garage!

Post by Steamdnt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:46 pm

About three years ago now, my father used to own his own machine shop, He had the full shebang, Horizontal mill, Vertical mill, Shaping machine, Lathe, Grinder, welder (Arc, Mig and Tig). EVERYTHING! Then we moved to the city and he was forced to sell his machines, but he kept a couple. Including Drill press, Mig welder, Hueg Air tank, Shaping Machine, and power bandsaw/hacksaw. I was looking around his tools earlier today and I found a Milling table attachment for my drill press! It clamps Directly to the top of the table, and has full X+Y movement. You set the Z axis with the Drill itself, then tighten the bolt to set it, then is has two knob/handles on the Y and X axis, you turn them and it moves the table, it is like a CNC, but instead of steppers, it has handles cranks and knobs. So basically, I have the manual equivalent of a CNC in my Garage!
No pictures, my Camera got dropped in water.
- Formerly known as DNT 2.5
A wild Website link has appeared.

nightwheel
PSN Username:nightwheel
360 GamerTag:nightwheel94
Steam ID:nightwheel

Re: I found something in mah Garage!

Post by nightwheel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am

DNT 2.5 wrote:About three years ago now, my father used to own his own machine shop, He had the full shebang, Horizontal mill, Vertical mill, Shaping machine, Lathe, Grinder, welder (Arc, Mig and Tig). EVERYTHING! Then we moved to the city and he was forced to sell his machines, but he kept a couple. Including Drill press, Mig welder, Hueg Air tank, Shaping Machine, and power bandsaw/hacksaw. I was looking around his tools earlier today and I found a Milling table attachment for my drill press! It clamps Directly to the top of the table, and has full X+Y movement. You set the Z axis with the Drill itself, then tighten the bolt to set it, then is has two knob/handles on the Y and X axis, you turn them and it moves the table, it is like a CNC, but instead of steppers, it has handles cranks and knobs. So basically, I have the manual equivalent of a CNC in my Garage!
No pictures, my Camera got dropped in water.
Got a webcam?

Anyways, awesome find. Maybe it will be use to you.

Who knows if the Namco Portable will ever become a reality? :P

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 am

Cool, what brand are they? We have several mills back at the house (2 vertical, 1 horizontal, and one other) and a few of them are Atlas. We need to get a forklift because they suck to move (currently on palettes still )

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:55 am

Wow, that sounds really cool. Good for you!

JariV

Post by JariV » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 am

I wish I'd find that in mah garage :P
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Those things are cheap, you can get them for ~$20 at harbor freight. BUT, Drill presses are not designed for side loads. They often do not work well on any denser materials, you MAY be able to use that with okayish results with plastic, but from what I've heard from people who have those things, it sucks ass.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Would you be able to use this in combination with a dremel, which is designed for side loads?

Steamdnt
PSN Username:xboxlive_adm

Post by Steamdnt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 pm

No, this drill press can take side loads, The table was MADE for it. not a Third party product.
- Formerly known as DNT 2.5
A wild Website link has appeared.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:09 pm

You said it was an attachment, not a table with a built in mill.

If it really is the latter it's a mill, a specialized mill that has the ability to be used as a drill press more easily.