Wood trim help.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Wood trim help.

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:00 am

So I'm building a desk. Nothing too fancy or complicated.

My problem is that the desk, viewed from the top, is an "L" shape, with three rounded edges. One is a 90 degree bend with a 19" radius, the other a 90 degree bend with a 12" radius, and the third a 90 degree bend with a 3" radius.

The surface is a veneered medium density fibreboard (ie top surface is birch, the rest is fibres). I want to router a rounded edge along its perimeter so my arms won't get poked. However, I don't want exposed fibres.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Off the top of my head:

- Get some 3/4" quarter round trim, steam bend it, and glue it on to the fibreboard.
- Round the fibreboard and finish it like that.
Hey, sup?

DopestKidEva
PSN Username:dopestkideva

Re: Wood trim help.

Post by DopestKidEva » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:03 am

vacuum form caps and glue them on?
jjhammerstein wrote:I'm going to hunt you down and rape you forever.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:04 am

The first thing that came to my mind is after you are done routing you can sand it down and apply a thick coat of varnish or paint and then a finish... or something to that extent.
While easier than your approach, yours sounds like it might last longer/look better.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:11 am

The problem is I don't think I can steam bend quarter round to a 3" radius without breaking it.
Hey, sup?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:31 am

3" inside radius? That would be tough, even with a lot of boiling/steaming. You'd have to cut a bunch of notches in the half round, then steam the parts that stay attached, then fill in the seams with wood filler. That or try to carve something out, but that would be tough to make look right.

Use our old friend Bondo if you're going to paint the desk, and steam bend some half-round for the rest. Just mix it up with some extra hardener and slap it on there, then sand it to the right shape when it dries. Hey, you laugh but we used Bondo to level out the parts of our bathroom floor the tub sits on when we remodeled last summer, and it's been holding my grandfather's kitchen cabinets level for 30 years. :P

That or you could always get some of that plastic T-molding and rout a groove around the whole thing.

I think they make some adhesive veneer strips for this purpouse, but I've never used it.

This is why I really don't like MDF. Plywood (especially finish-grade plywood) looks so much nicer when it's cut.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:01 am

The veneer strips can't bend. This thing isn't going to be painted.

I'm thinking some heavy coats of lacquer or something should do the trick. Sand it to a matte finish, and nobody should care too much.
Hey, sup?

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:36 am

My suggestion would be to use some iron-on edge banding to hide the grain, then just give it a little sanding to knock down the edges before you finish it. After you put the polyurethane on it shouldn't 'poke your arms' too much. Another option would be to only use the MDF for everything except the top and get some better wood for that where you can actually route it like you want to.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:01 am

Black Six has the best idea. Edge banding is designed for tight corners. Hell, it comes in tight rolls. It also comes in several varied widths, so you can match your thickness pretty closely. If it's too wide, you can trim it flush with a hand plane, then sand a slight rounding into it. MDF doesn't route worth crap. It's likely to chunk apart and make a mess.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Well I'm going to at lesat TRY to route it. I have some scrap. I have the desk pretty much done, actually. I need to tidy up the edges (they're still rough-cut) using god knows what, then route the edges or add trim, then apply polyurethane on the top and paint on the rest, screw it together, and I'm done.
Hey, sup?