Portable-making contest again?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

DopestKidEva
PSN Username:dopestkideva
Re: Portable-making contest again?

Post by DopestKidEva » Tue May 26, 2009 6:20 pm

Maybe all the contestants give there build log or whatever they have to a person. Then the person puts them all online and no one knows who made what.
jjhammerstein wrote:I'm going to hunt you down and rape you forever.

neverused

Post by neverused » Tue May 26, 2009 6:36 pm

How far along can this be? I'm probably only 20% done on my first, so I won't fly through my N64 like SS. Also, I like Bacteria's idea, but if you look at the list, we're not too far from an acceptable list.

I would also be interested in adding some random bits and bobs to the prize, since whoever wins can probably use the stuff better than I can :lol:

DopestKidEva

Post by DopestKidEva » Tue May 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Please make the contest after school is out. At this time people are studing for finals (not me)

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Tue May 26, 2009 7:16 pm

DopestKidEva wrote:Please make the contest after school is out. At this time people are studing for finals (not me)
Same and make it start when school if over for many people.[/quote]
School is out for me! I say we start on June 1 even if some people are still in school because it is a nice day to start.

@Bibin, does it have a system, a screen, a controller and batteries?
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

DopestKidEva

Post by DopestKidEva » Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 pm

No because most schools in the east get out June 22-26
Maybe even later. So start it June 30st or 31st whichever one there is LOL

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue May 26, 2009 7:26 pm

no. june first. That would be a good amount of time. June 30 wouldn't be enough time for a lot of people.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Tue May 26, 2009 8:38 pm

whenever I play MTG card game, or other games of that sort, I play for Pink Slips (But not our cars, what we used-AKA I used Pikacu in my pokemon deck, I lost winner gets that card and all others in the deck) We do the same thing for the prize
Each person entering puts in something (Not what they made) and they are all of equal, useable value, then winner gets all the losers entered things

That way someone doesn't loose an arm and leg for the winner again
Feel free to bash this idea, I know someone will :lol:

thewizdawg

Post by thewizdawg » Tue May 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I think each participate should agree to have a worklog about their projects with pics/videos. I know this is a competition but these forums are also about sharing knowledge.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue May 26, 2009 9:56 pm

thewizdawg wrote:I think each participate should agree to have a worklog about their projects with pics/videos. I know this is a competition but these forums are also about sharing knowledge.
That might be a good idea. I usually post tons of pictures and stuff of what I make, but I didn't for the SuperBoy because I was making it for the competition. It made me sad, but I didn't want to reveal it all too soon. My suggestion for people like me is to just make a worklog and save it to your computer in the meantime. When the contest is up post the worklog to the forums.

By the way, we're up to 19 definite entries so far.

I've been thinking about it, and personally I'd be willing to pit whatever I make in the competition against stuff anybody's been working on for a while. After all, this is just a fun and friendly competition mainly aimed at making everyone be productive. My vote is for making it all just one big competition, and portables that people have already started can be submitted. What does everyone else think? If you think there should be a couple of different categories, please make a suggestion about how we might account for the difference when it comes to voting, prizes, etc.

Let's give this a few more days of discussion and I will start an "official" competition thread, with clearly stated rules, deadlines, and so on. Anybody willing to pitch in prizes PM me and we'll discuss details. Sound good?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed May 27, 2009 12:58 pm

I say as long as the portable was not completed (none of the "oh i fixed this and that, its done now.") before the conetest started, then its ok to enter it. I think we should just do one category, portables. It just gets confusing when there are multiple categories, and even more confusing when it comes time to vote.

neverused

Post by neverused » Wed May 27, 2009 6:50 pm

thewizdawg wrote:I think each participate should agree to have a worklog about their projects with pics/videos. I know this is a competition but these forums are also about sharing knowledge.
We could make everyone post their work log within a 24-48 hour time frame at the end of the contest. That way no one will give away their secrets before and we can see the progress made.

As for SonyPortableizer's idea: are we wagering our portables or do we each choose something to "add to the pot" so to speak?

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed May 27, 2009 7:01 pm

neverused wrote:
We could make everyone post their work log within a 24-48 hour time frame at the end of the contest. That way no one will give away their secrets before and we can see the progress made.

As for SonyPortableizer's idea: are we wagering our portables or do we each choose something to "add to the pot" so to speak?
Agreed. In fact I'll draft up a rules proposal if I have time. Which I may not, working on the MNC and all.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed May 27, 2009 8:29 pm

I disagree with requiring anyone to offer a prize as an entry fee - that's an instant way to turn people away. However, it would be best if anyone interested in donating a prize PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA PM. It would be best if it's something kind of small but useful for a portablizer, like an NES or SNES controller.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

antrock101

Post by antrock101 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:42 pm

this sounds kool, can i suggest a noobie category one for people who have never made one it might encourage ppl to start
HOLY FREAKIN MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST! THAT CASE IS HUGE!

Perhaps you may buy a smaller one.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 pm

antrock101 wrote:this sounds kool, can i suggest a noobie category one for people who have never made one it might encourage ppl to start
:roll: Really, what would be the point?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/