Teleportation; It's actually already been done?!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

loup

Post by loup » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:48 pm

benheck wrote:I've often thought the best use for teleportation would be to put your table scraps in a box and it gets sent to countries where people are starving. I know that sounds gross, but think of leftover pieces of pizza or doggie bags that sit in the fridge until they rot.
If teleportation ever pans out in the direction they are currently taking it, there would be no reason to teleport table scraps. The current idea is to completely deconstruct an object, record the position and velocity of every atom, and then recreate it elsewhere. You would need raw material at the receiving end where an exact copy would be reproduced from the information gathered while ripping the original object apart.

So, instead of teleporting your half-eaten sandwich, just deconstruct the original sandwich, store that information permanently , and create a copy every time you wanted one (and allow others to make a copy in the third world so they have sandwiches too.) Actual existence of the teleportation technology would actually allow for replication as long as there is sufficient storage space available for all of the information needed to replicate the object. At that point, teleporting half-eaten food becomes cruel when it's just as easy to give a whole new sandwich just as easily. Instead, use your half-eaten sandwich as raw material to either teleport or replicate something else.

Also, to vskid's comment about teleporting the fuel back to earth from the moon, this wouldn't be possible unless the correct raw materials to make the fuel already existed on earth, at which point it wouldn't make sense to teleport it.
From the OLD ozforces forums
- Offenders will be bashed. Repeat Offenders will be repeatedly bashed.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:19 pm

loup wrote:Also, to vskid's comment about teleporting the fuel back to earth from the moon, this wouldn't be possible unless the correct raw materials to make the fuel already existed on earth, at which point it wouldn't make sense to teleport it.
It is found in very small amounts on earth, and you could use less efficient power sources to get the mining equipment and that to the moon, and then when some gets teleported back, you start using it in reactors. I'm pretty sure its Helium 3.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Limewater wrote:
And I hope we get dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:27 pm

Its done with small packets of atoms, very impressive, but not the teleporters we've seen in shows like, say, Family Matters.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 am

Quantum means atomic particles. Like, say, electrons, which for centuries (maybe only 1.5) humankind has known theorized that they "jump" from one energy level to another, without any travel through space or time. With all this teleportation going on in our bodies, don't you think they could teleport all of us? (FFox doesn't recognize teleport as a word :?)

The 2 big problems I see with this stuff is that the quantum world is MESSED UP. COMPELTELY. Things happen on that scale that most of us can't comprehend. When learning quantum physics (end of highschool-ish and above) you just accept the fact that it happens after a while. I'm sure plenty of you have an idea of what I'm getting at. But as a simple and short example, let's look at the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Here we are. I see you! (Not really, that'd be creepy, but let's pretend). I can see you moving. I can see how fast you're moving, where you are, and where you're moving to. On a quantum scale, you can't. You can get the strongest electron microscope you want, you will NEVER know. To look at an electron, for example, you need to have a photon reflect off it it into your eye. But by reflecting off the electron, the photon is absorbed and emitted, changing the electrons location. Or something like that.

The second problem is that in order to transport living matter, it must remain perfectly still. If it moves ever so slightly, even in a fraction of a second, the living object, of which every cell it is made up of must breathe (thus move), will be put together incorrectly, resulting in possible death, and a rearranged structure. Imagine what would happen if you teleported to work every day, and everyday your waist moves over 1-3 atoms. After a year of going back and forth to work, including a lunch break, your top half will have moved over 3240 atoms, assuming you work 5 days a week. After a steady job for 20 years, that's 64800 atoms your body has shifted, enough to cause some serious damage, I'm assuming.
Hey, sup?

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:56 am

Since the more common idea of large matter teleporters is actually a data transmission of the atoms, then rebuilding the matter from scratch at the other end, if you want to be sending items/food, you can make unlimited clones of the scanned item with the matter "rebuilder" :P

But yeah, long ways off.

Crimehawk

Post by Crimehawk » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:45 am

just a thought. This energy your talking about, that it would take, it would be pretty simple. The government, company, or whatever, would have a central teleporter. When someone wanted to use their teleporter, this teleporter, would create/"rebuild" the energy needed at the teleporter being used. Then to "refuel" this central teleporter, it would jsut "rebuild" the energy to itself, and "refuel"

But yeah, think about the safety involved also? I mean, if these could be provately owned (though expensive), you would have murdering maniacs all over the place. Locks and Keys would have no more use.

Also, think of it in warfare? A country, could practically transport entire armies/cities/countries to who knows where. And then, also, a different country could transport all a country's teleporters to themselves.

It would just be insane

Just some thoughts =P
Matt

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:57 am

How is it even possible? I thought you could not create or destroy matter or energy?

But if teleportation ever becomes a reality, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDidXtJo ... avision</a> will replace shipping as we know it. :P

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:01 pm

bicostp wrote:But if teleportation ever becomes a reality, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDidXtJo ... avision</a> will replace shipping as we know it. :P
But you'll have to make everything a lot bigger so it'll be normal size when its received.

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:31 pm

Whats all this talk with teleporting food? Could somebody please send me a sandwich?
Making XNA Games in C#.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:34 pm

Okay, but you'll have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for it. :P

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:36 pm

bicostp wrote:How is it even possible? I thought you could not create or destroy matter or energy?
That's how the atomic bomb works. It takes a very small amount of matter and converts it into a massive amount of energy. E=MC^2
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

sg1gamer

Post by sg1gamer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:07 pm

Theres only one thing i can say. WTF!! Thats unnatural!!

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Current teleportation research involves both quantum tunneling and quantum entanglement.

When put together, you end up with a process that requires an original copy every time. Quantum entanglement allows scientists to get around the uncertainty principle mentioned above. When two particals are entangled, they exactly mimmic each other. One measurement can be made on the first, and the next on the second.

You end up with A: the original copy, B: the entangled particles, and C: the unstructured matter on the other end of the teleporter. One measurement is taken from A- which dissallows any further measurements of A because of the uncertainty principle. However B is entangled and therefore exactly mimicking A, so the second measurement is taken from B. Through tunneling the state of A (as recorded from both A and B) is transmitted to C, which takes up that quantum state.

Current teleportation technology =/= replication technology. Even if it were so, replication would not allow you to replicate fuel infinitely (inefficiency will always be present)

gamer2

Post by gamer2 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:12 pm

When you teleport, better spray the pod if insecticide or else you may end up looking like Jeff Goldblum in that movie. Ohhh the horror.