Which past portable system could have beat the Gameboy?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

In a alternate universe, which system COULD have beat the Gameboy?

Atari Lynx
5%
Turbo Express
5%
Game Gear
33%
Sega Nomad
43%
Neo Geo Pocket Color
14%

Total votes: 21

benheck
Site Admin
Which past portable system could have beat the Gameboy?

Post by benheck » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:07 am

This is a side-poll to the DS vs PSP thing, and also probably secretly references the Neo Geo pocket thread.

Which of the following portables COULD have beat the Gameboy, had the companies used brilliant marketing and released great games?

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:23 am

I gotta go with the game gear. Whenever I was talking about video games with friends, and the gameboy would come up into conversation, it was always a matter of gmaeboy versus game gear.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:00 pm

I'd say the game gear. It has a few advantages over the Gameboy they could have crushed the Gameboy had they worked better on them. First the color screen, yes it cut the battery life in half but color kicks ass. Second was its ablility to play SMS games. Third is the tv turner (I own one) this with the game gear made it like an entertainment pack, watch tv or play games two choices instead of one.

Its a shame the game gear fell through the cracks so easily.

P.S. I would have said the Nomad but... its a Genesis! Non much advantage there, as I said before a protable should have like 55% original games so theres insentive to buy the system.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

s3ptic

Post by s3ptic » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:45 pm

P.S. I would have said the Nomad but... its a Genesis! Non much advantage there, as I said before a protable should have like 55% original games so theres insentive to buy the system.
I agree with you, but come on its the genesis the first console to beat Nintendo(well kind of) any was I love the Genesis, and haveing it on the go is far better than GameBoy Color no contest but battery life is terible thing.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:26 pm

go neogeo pocket color. Damn those lil pokemons...

Link89

Post by Link89 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:37 am

The Atari lynx wasn't terrible the big problem with it was the battery life, if they could have fixed that it would have been great. It did come out when the original huge gameboy came out and the lynx was in color. I had to go with the game gear because it had a lot of potential but just didn't seem to take offplus they had sonic one of the best games ever made.

GibsonPlayer15

Post by GibsonPlayer15 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:57 am

Except for the fact that it took 4 (Or was it 6?) "AA" Batteries, it was Sega's coolest failure.

:shock: