The Game Boy's Last Stand...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 am

I'm not trying to start a handheld war here, but GamingRev, have you actually played a number of DS games? Sure, the mass-market crap that comes out of EA is naturally going to be crap but Nintendo itself is cranking out the gems for the system. That's what the PSP is missing.

The PSP looks cool, but looks alone don't keep you interested in a $250 memory card eater. The DS is ugly in comparison, but cheap and its design actually is more practical than the PSP's design.

This is what I think, if you can provide good solid evidence, then I'll willingly change it. But don't assume this applies for everyone.

As a rule, there are exceptions to every rule.

kidw/32+systems

Post by kidw/32+systems » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:53 am

the gba is old and not that good comparied to waht is out now either BigN does a total rethink on it or it will become a novaltie item that you remeber when you were 5
PlayChoice games 50/54 37 toppers

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:34 am

Anyone with eyes can see that the PSP is NOT the same shape as the DS, dude. I for one am no fan of the DS shape and design.

I agree with marshallh, the DS has many good games that I'd actually be interested in playing. The PSP does not.

Reploid Ayla

Post by Reploid Ayla » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:09 pm

Gameboy isnt over. Nintendo wont have it.

There were more than 30 versions of the Genesis.

GBA will be around for awhile.

cennar

Re: DS, better games!

Post by cennar » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:04 pm

GamingRev wrote:The only good thing I see in the DS is the Mario Cart wifi. But besides that the controlls are bad (no REALLY BAD),
ok im on with you on every thing here, you know that the DS is a nice idea but not pulled off vary well and that the PSP is going to win cus nintendo is giving them the market with there lach of games and good use of there own system but there is one thing i'll argue to my death, mario kart DS has great controlls but nintendo is not going to do any thing with wifi. I've ran out and bought two wifi games and the little addapter (I got mario kart and animal crossing) I got bored with animal crossing pritty quick, Mario kart i love. cant get enough of it and the online bits (i think it sould have a chat box or some thing in the lobby, it just needs this bit) and yet the thing with the DS is that nintendo is saying that its not going to be the next hanheld its just a showcase of things the company can do with its hardware. well why is it that they cant give us the games we want. like i dont want to pay over 300 bucks to be disapointed by purly graphics so we buy the DS hoping for game play, so far the DS is great at racing games (get the mostwanted and you know what i mean) but the DS wont actualy use its features like its tuch screen and wifi. why cant they update the fermware for Picto chat wifi, why didnt they release the dam thing whith Wifi (real wifi browser and all that junk could come latter, who knows) and why cant they just make a freaking origanal game for it, Im tired of new ways to play old games ive gotten sick of (Mario64x4) make a new mario game for it like whats going on with that cool supermario bros demo on IGn? well atleast when the lite comes out I'll hack up the old systems like theres no tomorow. (and i dont think the rereleases are a big deal, no one cares if theres four systems to play a GBA game, people are still going to buy the DS because they think its the latest game boy (sure nintendo hits at the fact that its not, but it makes use of that dam GBA cart anyways)

so wether or not its the end of days for the GBA, there will be little verdict on who killed them. and i think it was sucide from a gulty Arm over all that cloning and horid rereleases not what shamless marketing device sony pulled out ther bum

GamingRev

I hate the PSP with a...

Post by GamingRev » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:05 pm

" I hate the PSP with a passion"
Mark those words, I hate the PSP as well, the joystick is...ehh! The Screen dies quickly enough, the design is bad as well (but better than the DS) and everything is overpriced, so I believe that they are both "not so great" systems. Yet, my position stands on the PSP (for homebrew :lol:) I love Mario Cart, but hate a lot of DS and PSP games.

But in the end GP2x kills all!!!
PS3 sucks...

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Personal id rather have a PSP than a DS

I decided not to get either a DS or a PSP (mainly because i dont have the money :lol: ) and thought id wait for the next GB......

I always saw the DS as nintendo's half-way step to the PSP and the next GB would be its true competitor.....

but woe is me idd

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Reploid Ayla wrote:Gameboy isnt over. Nintendo wont have it.
For now, I'm betting it is. I haven't seen many decent-looking new GBA games (the last one is either the Donkey Kong Country game or The King of Swing game...) Until they come out with a successor to the DS, the gameboy name is either on hold or retired. (I think the DS is basically Gameboy 64 anyways... :roll:)
Genesis 1
Genesis 2
Genesis 3
Nomad
Neptune (prototype)

There were about 5 (4 if you don't count the unreleased prototype). How many revisions of the GBA have there been?
GBA
SP
Micro
Backlit SP ("improved skreen!!1!!1!one!")

You can't praise the GBA for being revised several times and diss the Genesis for being re-re-released. That's hypocritical.
Doubt it. I mena how long will Nintendo deal with a 5 or 6 year old platform when its sucessor has been around for over a year?

As far as DS vs PSP goes, "meh" I say. DS has a bunch of games, PSP is a portyable multimedia powerhouse. Well, SO IS MY LAPTOP/COMPUTER! :roll: Both consoles cost tons of money and the games are very expensive. Plus you have to buy memory sticks for the PSP to play any media (except UMDs, but I don't want to buy 2 copies of the same movie! :roll:), and you can't play music on the DS (at least without dealing with shady asian markets...) I bought an MP3-CD player, and I use it a lot. I don't care about watching videos or whatever, and I don't need to see album art or lyrics to know what I'm listening to, so I have absolutely no need or desire to get a PSP or an iPod. And gaming? The handheld game I play the most is Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. So why bother buying a new system just to play an old game? I'll just use my GBC, thankyouverymuch. (oh sure I have a GBA and some games for it, but they don't get as much use as my 8 year old teal GBC.)

General handheld rant:
DS: I've tried it, and I'm not all too impressed. I hate switching to the stylus and back to the buttons all the time, and I feel like II'm going to break it if I press too hard. Plus the buttons are too close together for my comfort.

PSP: Good if you want to watch movies or play music or pirate games or whatever, but since I don't do that stuff too much on the go it's unnecessary. (plus an MP3-CD player is not nearly the theft target a PSP or iPod is)

Micro: It feels lik eplaying games on a Tic-Tac box. My hands cramped up after a couple minutes of playing the store demo.

SP original: the screen looks washed out, and it's so darn uncomfortable. Plus you needed to buy an adapter to plug in HEADPHONES! WTF? It was at this point I think the GBA jumped the shark.

SP w/ new screen: Finally they get the screen right, but in the darn SP case? *wah*

GBA original: The only GBA series system I can play comfortably for extended periods of time. The screen is perfectly readable in well-lit conditions.

GBC: Yay color! Comfortable to hold, readable in moderate lighting, this was the best classic gameboy.

GBP: This one wasn't too bad. At least the screen was TFT.

GBO: The VHS cassette that started it all. I have played it before, and it's not bad for its time. Too bad it has a cheapo screen...

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:26 pm

Does anyone else find the PSP exceedingly uncomfortable to hold and play, or is that just me? Maybe its the extensive use of the shoulder buttons...

psychotic_mechanic

Post by psychotic_mechanic » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 pm

You forgot about the GB Light. I'll have to keep the next one I find, I really thought it would sell for over $50 on ebay though.

I've been playing a lot of GBA games over the past couple weeks and I was thinking just yesterday that Nintendo never stopped making SNES games. With a GC and a gameboy player I can even play them on a TV with a decent controller.
American gamer stationed in Japan, PM with your import gaming desires.

Now with dancing boobies as my avatar!

Conn

Post by Conn » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:24 pm

Why is it every. single. time someone posts about NIntendo, 10 people come in and say Nintendo has lost it, Nintendo sucks, etc etc? And don't say "oh I actually like nintendo they're making bad decisions though!!". Because if you did like Nintendo, you wouldn't be BASHING THEM ALL THE TIME.
cennar wrote:nintendo is not going to do any thing with wifi.
First, I need to say one thing: Work on your grammar. I mean holy crap, you are nearly impossible to understand. At least hit enter every once and a while!

Second, do you honestly think NIntendo is going to pass up this online service? They've got more games online since the service launched than the Gamecube has right now. Nintendo thought online was a fad. They were wrong, they are fixing that by having Mario Kart and Animal Crossing online. And there's Tony Hawk too, and soon to be Metroid Prime Hunters, and a Bomberman game, and a Tetris game....
I got bored with animal crossing pritty quick,
To each his own, but you have to relize that people love the game. It's selling pretty awesomely IIRC.
Mario kart i love. cant get enough of it and the online bits (i think it sould have a chat box or some thing in the lobby, it just needs this bit)
This was Nintendo's first attempt at online, give them a break. If you wanna see some horrible online play; Dreamcast. Oh sure, it got better eventually, but it was dial-up only, lagged often, and most early title only allowed high scores to be uploaded *COUGHSTARWARSRACERCOUGH*.
and yet the thing with the DS is that nintendo is saying that its not going to be the next hanheld its just a showcase of things the company can do with its hardware. well why is it that they cant give us the games we want.
One, where did NIntendo say the DS is just to prove they're awesome?

Two, Nintendo IS giving gamers what they want. Online Mario Kart? Check. Online Animal Crossing (despite your opinion, the game desperatly needed online)? Check. Mario title at launch? Despite being a remake, check. Other gems such as Kirby, Castlevania, or Advance Wars? Check.
like i dont want to pay over 300 bucks to be disapointed by purly graphics so we buy the DS hoping for game play, so far the DS is great at racing games (get the mostwanted and you know what i mean) but the DS wont actualy use its features like its tuch screen and wifi.
Wait, you find DSes for $300? Holy crap, check somewhere else. I got mine for $200 around LAUNCH, you know before the price drop.

And wait, the DS isn't using it's features? Hmm.. how about.. oh I dunno, Nintendogs, Wario Ware: Touched! or Kirby Canvas Curse?
why cant they update the fermware for Picto chat wifi, why didnt they release the dam thing whith Wifi (real wifi browser and all that junk could come latter, who knows)
The Nintendo Wi-Fi Service wasn't ready at launch. Ergo, Pictochat could not have been online. And how would there be firmware updates? It can't connect to anything. I can only see it happening via a DS Card sent out to those who register a DS on Nintendo.com.
and why cant they just make a freaking origanal game for it, Im tired of new ways to play old games ive gotten sick of (Mario64x4)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Pheonix Wright: Ace Attourney, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing Wild World, Meteos, Mario and Luigi 2.. need I go on?
make a new mario game for it like whats going on with that cool supermario bros demo on IGn?
Nintendo is making TWO Mario games; New Super Mario Bros. and Super Princess Peach. Both are 2D Sidescrollers.
but it makes use of that dam GBA cart anyways)
One word; expansions.
bicostp wrote:
For now, I'm betting it is. I haven't seen many decent-looking new GBA games (the last one is either the Donkey Kong Country game or The King of Swing game...)
Hmm.. well, in 2005 there was Mario Tennis: Power Tour, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Rivera: The Promised Land, Klonoa 2, Gunstar Super Heroes, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Final Fantasy IV Advance, Racing Gears Advance, Wario Ware: Twisted and Mega Man Zero 4. This year brought Drill Dozer and Tales of Phantasia in May.
(I think the DS is basically Gameboy 64 anyways... :roll:)
Please tell me you're joking. How is the N64 similar to the DS? They're both 64 bit, and had a SIMILAR Mario game (64 DS is a REMAKE- 30 new stars + 3 more characters + minigames), that's all. The DS has two screens, touch screen imput, less buttons, WORSE textures, and- wait for it- NO OTHER N64 PORTS. They're technically not even ports, since SM64DS HAD TO BE REWROTE FOR THE HARDWARE.
Genesis 1
Genesis 2
Genesis 3
Nomad
Neptune (prototype)

There were about 5 (4 if you don't count the unreleased prototype). How many revisions of the GBA have there been?
GBA
SP
Micro
Backlit SP ("improved skreen!!1!!1!one!")
[/quote]

How can you count the Backlit SP as a new Gameboy? It was a singl upgrade to the SP- not even a LARGE ONE. It fixed a problem with it, hardly a new version. You know, since they sport the exact same features and all. If you're going to count that, then yes, the Genesis has 30+ revisions. And if you change you mind, well, how about the SEGA Mega Jet? Or CDX?
Doubt it. I mena how long will Nintendo deal with a 5 or 6 year old platform when its sucessor has been around for over a year?
1) The GBA does not have a sucessor. The DS is a seperate system, as Nintendo has stressed.
2) Another GB will obviously be announced soon. I say.. maybe this E3, probably next year's E3

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:35 pm

Conn wrote:Why is it every. single. time someone posts about NIntendo, 10 people come in and say Nintendo has lost it, Nintendo sucks, etc etc? And don't say "oh I actually like nintendo they're making bad decisions though!!". Because if you did like Nintendo, you wouldn't be BASHING THEM ALL THE TIME.

Hey, I like gannon, but let's face it...he's a friggen girl. Seriously. A pansy on a stick... :wink:
cennar wrote:nintendo is not going to do any thing with wifi.
First, I need to say one thing: Work on your grammar. I mean holy excrement, you are nearly impossible to understand. At least hit enter every once and a while!

Don't be a mod/ass. That's my job... :wink:
Mario kart i love. cant get enough of it and the online bits (i think it sould have a chat box or some thing in the lobby, it just needs this bit)
This was Nintendo's first attempt at online, give them a break. If you wanna see some horrible online play; Dreamcast. Oh sure, it got better eventually, but it was dial-up only, lagged often, and most early title only allowed high scores to be uploaded *COUGHSTARWARSRACERCOUGH*.

It's called constructive criticism. He offered it. You kicked him in the god damn crotch for it... :? "Hey, I think you could add this-" "F--- YOU!" See how that's worng?
and yet the thing with the DS is that nintendo is saying that its not going to be the next hanheld its just a showcase of things the company can do with its hardware. well why is it that they cant give us the games we want.
One, where did NIntendo say the DS is just to prove they're awesome?

Two, Nintendo IS giving gamers what they want. Online Mario Kart? Check. Online Animal Crossing (despite your opinion, the game desperatly needed online)? Check. Mario title at launch? Despite being a remake, check. Other gems such as Kirby, Castlevania, or Advance Wars? Check.

You're being outrageously critival and insulting...check!
like i dont want to pay over 300 bucks to be disapointed by purly graphics so we buy the DS hoping for game play, so far the DS is great at racing games (get the mostwanted and you know what i mean) but the DS wont actualy use its features like its tuch screen and wifi.
Wait, you find DSes for $300? Holy excrement, check somewhere else. I got mine for $200 around LAUNCH, you know before the price drop.

He was refferring to the PSP...try not to be a stupid as you sound.

And wait, the DS isn't using it's features? Hmm.. how about.. oh I dunno, Nintendogs, Wario Ware: Touched! or Kirby Canvas Curse?

Oh good, they have...three games using the features. Congrat-ya-losers...
and why cant they just make a freaking origanal game for it, Im tired of new ways to play old games ive gotten sick of (Mario64x4)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Pheonix Wright: Ace Attourney, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing Wild World, Meteos, Mario and Luigi 2.. need I go on?

Sure, but try to not mention a game with pre-used characters...and that isn't totally lame...
bicostp wrote:
For now, I'm betting it is. I haven't seen many decent-looking new GBA games (the last one is either the Donkey Kong Country game or The King of Swing game...)
Hmm.. well, in 2005 there was Mario Tennis: Power Tour, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Rivera: The Promised Land, Klonoa 2, Gunstar Super Heroes, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Final Fantasy IV Advance, Racing Gears Advance, Wario Ware: Twisted and Mega Man Zero 4. This year brought Drill Dozer and Tales of Phantasia in May.

And now it's 2006...month two. Nothing lined up...ouch...
(I think the DS is basically Gameboy 64 anyways... :roll:)
Please tell me you're joking. How is the N64 similar to the DS? They're both 64 bit, and had a SIMILAR Mario game (64 DS is a REMAKE- 30 new stars + 3 more characters + minigames), that's all. The DS has two screens, touch screen imput, less buttons, WORSE textures, and- wait for it- NO OTHER N64 PORTS. They're technically not even ports, since SM64DS HAD TO BE REWROTE FOR THE HARDWARE.

My you're an irratable one...they are similar. It's a hard fact of life...
That was fun...my comments in bold...
-Luke

sniper_spike

Post by sniper_spike » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:51 am

Bah, did you have to quote the entire thing?
I've never played the DS, so I can't comment on many things, but the DS is definitely an N64P. The two handhelds before DS were from previous gens too:
Gameboy Colour - NES
Gameboy Advance - SNES
Dr. Gregory House wrote:Good lord, are you having a bowel movement or a baby?

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:09 am

I've made that connection, too ss...you're not alone :wink:
-Luke