A gameboy advanced mod: where to get a certain thing

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Klefmung
A gameboy advanced mod: where to get a certain thing

Post by Klefmung » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:35 pm

I found that the LEDs i had worked on two AAs, and I decided to stick them in my gameboy advanced, seeing as I do not want to buy a SP and my DS won't play gameboy/color games. So I find that I need a white transparent material to diffuse the light. Where would I attain such a material?

vb_master

Re: A gameboy advanced mod: where to get a certain thing

Post by vb_master » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:45 pm

Klefmung wrote:I found that the LEDs i had worked on two AAs, and I decided to stick them in my gameboy advanced, seeing as I do not want to buy a SP and my DS won't play gameboy/color games. So I find that I need a white transparent material to diffuse the light. Where would I attain such a material?
Can't unless you get the Afterburner mod.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:48 pm

Not true. The guy who made the afterburner had to get the parts from somewhere. Everybody talks about the afterburner as if it's some godlike thing you cannot build yourself. I'm not saying it'd be easy. But come on now. Do some googling research on what it is and how it works and find some parts...etc.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:55 pm

i just need a white opaque material to diffuse the light. I can do it with that. ;;>_>

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:00 pm

Kyosho wrote:Not true. The guy who made the afterburner had to get the parts from somewhere. Everybody talks about the afterburner as if it's some godlike thing you cannot build yourself. I'm not saying it'd be easy. But come on now. Do some googling research on what it is and how it works and find some parts...etc.
I'm pretty sure you can't do it. Several people here have tried and failed.

*o*

Post by *o* » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:09 pm

if the afterburner works there must be some way to make something that deos it
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

Wayne Venomous

Post by Wayne Venomous » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:50 am

One thing I've found is that if you put one or two layers of something frosted (I used Scotch Magitape) or similar it gives a nice diffused even light rather than the "hot spots" that LEDs normally give. I've even seen someone on the web use a drinking straw!

If you can get diffused white LEDs rather than the normal clear, that might help although I've never seen any.

Biggest problem I seem to have is fitting the LEDs into the housing of the GBA as it's very cramped. I'm actually thinking about making a housing to fit over the front although I might as well get one of those clip-on front light things if I'm gonna do that.
I've often found if people spend less time worrying about what someone the other side of the world has posted on an internet forum and more time getting laid, they'll be a lot less tense.

elementxmaster

Post by elementxmaster » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:10 am

Last edited by elementxmaster on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toby dawg
Portablizer

u

Post by toby dawg » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:51 pm

try cutting up a margirine container. their white and would work! 8) [/b]

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:55 pm

i thgink the after burner front lights it
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

G-force

Post by G-force » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:04 am

Wait, wait ,wait. You mean I ripped open my GBA, shined different light sources (even used a diffuser from an LCD) all in an attempt to see if it was even close to possible to back light the screen, and after it failed people are still asking if it works... *sigh* Nobody searches anymore. And I'm too tired to look for the link to the thread.
Basically, it's impossible to backlight it, only front light. And as Turbo Tax 1.0 said the after burner is a front light. If you look at the installation instructions (which you can find on google), it even shows that you put it on the front of the LCD.