Portable RGB

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

TGS
Portable RGB

Post by TGS » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:02 am

Hi,

I have noticed that a lot of you are using composite input on your LCD panels in your systems. Is there any problem with using native RGB? Does the PSOne screen allow you to use RGB. For the portable I am working on, I want it to have the best screen output possible, so RGB is a must!

Thanks for your help,
TGS

S q u e e !

Post by S q u e e ! » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:07 am

Yes the PSone screen does except RGB, check the thread at the top.

But, if you want the best possible video, use S-Video. I'll go find the thread.

**EDIT**

http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5261
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

~Eddie Izzard

TGS

Post by TGS » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:34 pm

I read through the thread and all I could see is the SVideo mod being the best for N64s due to their poor RGB output. All of the consoles I will be using in my portable will have very bright RGB. So, unless I am missing something, the RGB on the PS1 screen is the best, right?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:15 pm

I don't know why Squee said SVideo is better. It's not. RGB is the best you can get to the real image.

AFAIK SNES outputs rgb, N64 only with a mod, but most systems are made only to output composite.

Not all consoles have RGB. Yes, you are right in that RGB is the best way to use the PSONE screen. But some consoles don't support it.

S q u e e !

Post by S q u e e ! » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:21 pm

I always thought S-video looked way better than RGB, but it is a personal preference. Here is how to get RGB on an SNES mini.
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

~Eddie Izzard

TGS

Post by TGS » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:16 am

The systems are RGB compatable (Good old 16bit era, they knew how to look after their customers) after the RGB mods on Gamesx. Another question about the PS1 screen - how hard is it to use the speakers for stereo? Are they of a good quality? If not, is it possible to swap the speakers for better ones?

Im really looking for an awesome (and large) portable with the best of everything.

Thanks for your help.

Foxx373

Post by Foxx373 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:30 am

The speakers are pretty damn good! I was suprised on the quality of Super Smash Brothers for GC! You really cant tell its in stereo cause they are so close together, but it is indeed stereo. Verge/PSone screen can have stereo sound imput directly with no real mods. You just have to wire it up.
www.bsodtv.org - Hacking is NOT a crime!

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:49 pm

yeah, they're stereo all right ;) (on my GCp I can definitely tell :P)....if you space out the speakers I bet it would work even better.
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

TGS

Post by TGS » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:28 pm

Excelent. Sweet times ahead for the TGSp! Now all I need to work out some controller issues before I start buying everything I need. Thanks for all of your help.

Just thought of one more question that I have. I know that LCDs make some games blurry due to the slow update times. Is this prevalent in the PSOne screen. The games in question will be mainly platformers.

Thanks once again.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:07 pm

No, those problems are only with passive matrix or STN screens - the PSone screen is TFT (thin film transistor) so everything is sharp. I don't think you could get any better for the price.