$50 2.5" lcd pocket tv, inc. shipping/tax, Sharper Imag

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

EmreNU
$50 2.5" lcd pocket tv, inc. shipping/tax, Sharper Imag

Post by EmreNU » Wed May 26, 2004 7:25 pm

For anyone like me who has been waiting for a sale to start his portabilization projects... There's a sale at Sharper Image for a 2.5" TFT Handheld TV, http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catal ... d=31200000

If the price doesn't come up as $39.95, click on the Hot Buys link near the top left and find it again -- I'm not sure how long this will be up, I got it from forums.anandtech.com.

Has audio/video input as well as headphone port, runs on 3 AAAs, doesn't look like circuitry would be too big... personally I think this screen would be good for long battery life more than anything.

Good luck :)

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed May 26, 2004 8:10 pm

hmmm, that's nice if you want a new screen and don't trust used stuff, but PSOne screens go for about that price on ebay, and the are a lot bigger.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Moose Jr.

Post by Moose Jr. » Thu May 27, 2004 7:53 am

It's cheap because it's a factory refurb. But other than that it looks like a good bargain for a SNESp or something where the screen doesn't need to be too large.
If the plural of goose is geese...
My Portable N64 Project - http://home.earthlink.net/~moose_jr

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu May 27, 2004 8:11 am

For the same price you could buy a hip gear controller/screen. And all you'd have to do is go to your local taget.
But otherwise it looks nice.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

someone

Post by someone » Thu May 27, 2004 10:15 am

I don't trust those sharper image people...

EmreNU

Post by EmreNU » Fri May 28, 2004 5:53 pm

Well the tv came in today, perfect condition, yeah I will probably get a bigger screen in a couple months but first I wanted to get a genuine tv so I could work on my projects the way I've learned from following Ben's progress for the past 2.5 years :wink: If and when I start making some notable progress, I'll put up a link to my website

EmreNU

Post by EmreNU » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:58 pm

Haha, so I short circuited the TV while trying to find the video-out directly... still haven't figured that out! The A/V-in isn't the same as what Ben has documented, and although I've figured out grounding and the audio lead, the video still eludes me. Oh well. Anyway, the next day I randomly found an area on the circuit where if I applied a voltage, the thing worked! I don't even know what the component is, but if I touch one side of it, all is go... luckily, the TV runs at 4.8V (4 NiMH) instead of the 6.0V it is supposed to run at. The NES however took 6 AAAs... haha. I have a PowerJoy coming in tomorrow, and I have a SNES I'm eager to take apart, along with a PSone screen sometime in the next couple weeks, so I'm revving to go on a project... yea, the TV I have now just doesn't have satisfactory video output... I won't stand for my favorite games to have low quality representations! :-)

Excuse this scatter brained post, but I've gotten nothing done tonight... taking inconsistent naps late in the day does no good for productivity :( Later, crew.

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:41 pm

did you break the tv?

EmreNU

Post by EmreNU » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:52 am

Well it was dead for a night after I grounded the wrong part of the circuit... then the next day I bypassed a portion of the board and luckily found a point where if +4.8V is applied and the negative lead connected then the circuit is complete and it works... I was complaining about the quality of the LCD, the resolution is too low so the image quality sucks, in my opinion. There are too many black spaces between pixels so even NES games don't look good, let alone SNES. I mean it's not horrible, but it's a poor representation compared to a regular TV. I'm assuming the official Sony PSOne screen has a better resolution so I'm going to get one of those. So, the TV's not dead, but I had to do some bypass surgery to get it going again :wink:

someone

Post by someone » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:44 pm

the psone screen is better :D