Fed up with 3.5" backup Screens. Troubleshoot/Alternative?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

wallydawg
Fed up with 3.5" backup Screens. Troubleshoot/Alternative?

Post by wallydawg » Wed May 29, 2013 1:43 am

Maybe it's just my horrible luck, but it seems to me that the quality (which of course really wasn't that high to begin with) of these has really dropped of late. For ~$20 each I'm not expecting much really, I just want them to work properly and that is my issue.

I buy these screens for Nomad mods, and over the past few purchases the screens have been less than stellar. One batch the screen simply refused to show a picture of half the systems I tried it on (did not work on NES 1/2, SNES, N64, Sega 1/2/3/cd/Nomad (shows ONLY the 2 player split screen demo in Sonic 2 then cuts out again), and TG16; showed the Playstation Logo/SCEA boot screens for both Playstation models then cuts out; worked for 3DO, Gamecube, PS2, Saturn), and the most recent batch has a horizontal line of garbled pixels, ONLY on the Nomad. I originally chalked it up to POS build quality, but when testing it on any console other than the Nomad/Genesis, the picture is crystal clear, with no interference.

Even when using the UDLR flip, the interference travels with the flipping of the screen and doesn't stay on the bottom.

Same screen on NES, no interference. Same result on any other console EXCEPT the Nomad and Genesis.

Has anybody else been having problems with these screens or am I just snake-bit? Is there maybe something with the way Sega encodes their video output, different than other consoles? Any affordable alternatives? All I really noticed was AEIComp at $100ea which were, for this project anyway, unnecessarily touch screen. Any input, whether of your screen woes or any idea of what the problem could be is appreciated.

Also, This is screen "#3" not that it matters. I bought these late February so can't link directly to the auction.