[PC] Cannibalizing LCD from old laptop

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Majin
[PC] Cannibalizing LCD from old laptop

Post by Majin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Now, before you go "You can't use 'em for a portable!" do note that I'm not making a portable console.

I'm working on making a cheap Virtual Reality helmet via a few straps (and some rags for cushioning my head), a wiimote and a screen from an old laptop.

Reason being that I'm using a laptop screen is that the laptop I'm going to cannibalize is an "EXTENSA 650CDT" laptop that my father had gathering dust. It's screen is perfect for what I'm attempting to do; square, 9" with colour.

The laptop has VGA and S-Video connectors, so I assume this'll be less hacky than a usual pocket-tv, as my computer outputs VGA as well.

Before I get to cracking my dad's old lappy and consequently getting yelled at for breaking it whilst being careless, what would be involved in me bypassing the computer altogether, and just hooking up the screen to my computer via VGA?

Can it be done by just removing parts of the motherboard? Would that be too difficult to do? Or am I SOL?

Thanks in advance.

ProgMetalMan

Re: [PC] Cannibalizing LCD from old laptop

Post by ProgMetalMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 am

Majin wrote: "You can't use 'em for a portable!"
...or anything for that matter.
That is, UNLESS you got a driver board for it, but don't hold your breath.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

lexxion83

Post by lexxion83 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 am

First, find out the model number of the screen.

There is one corporation on ebay called NJYtouch. They sell controller boards. They have a list of monitors that work with their controllers. They are not that expensive. I know few people who used they controller boards and did not have a problem.

Good luck.

Majin

Post by Majin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm

lexxion83 wrote:First, find out the model number of the screen.

There is one corporation on ebay called NJYtouch. They sell controller boards. They have a list of monitors that work with their controllers. They are not that expensive. I know few people who used they controller boards and did not have a problem.

Good luck.
Wicked cool, thanks.

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:17 pm

If you have $35 and a month to kill, NJYTouch is a great option for re-using those old screens. I've got 4 controller boards from them for 4 monitors, and they all work now.
My only issue is the monitor I was most excited to get to use turned out to not have square pixels. This pisses me off. But that's not NJYTouch's problem.

Now let's look at your computer for a minute here...
From what I can find, it's a SHARP LQ11S33 Panel inside of it.
NJYTouch doesn't have this screen listed as being compatible with their boards, so you would need to shoot them a message asking if they have an option for you.
Before doing this, I would verify that it is indeed that screen.