LG Laptop display Hacking

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

FatylPCs
LG Laptop display Hacking

Post by FatylPCs » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Hey all. I'm planning on my first LCD hack and I have a burnt out Toshiba Satellite I'm planning on stripping the monitor from (just the memory slots are shot, the LCD is fine). I have a pin out of the controller (found here: http://www.avidia.com.tw/docs/product/LP156WH1-TLC1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and understand the power wiring aspects, but had a few questions.

Firstly, I plan on building a 2 way or at least an interchangeable connector. The idea is to hook it up to a gaming console (360, PS3, Wii, ect.). Is this feasible or should I just stick to a single input.

If it is at all possible to put in a dual input I have a Monitor connector that is male on both ends (VGA), I'm planning on salvaging a matching connector from the same laptop's mainboard. The question here is what are the matching interface connections for a standard VGA connection (a pinout would be great if any one has one) and how do I connect the same rigging to an RGB connection?

Second, Pins 5, 20-30 are all blank on the connector ribbon. 20-30 are nothing, but the data sheet says pin 5 is a Self Test. Should I wire that up in any way?

Last, what kind of resistors/capacitors am I looking at picking up?

Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: After looking at this image (http://www.theavguide.co.uk/AdvHTML_Upload/vgaplug3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) I came up with a simple table to try and help me out but wanted some confirmation (if any could give any) as to wither I was right or not.

Code: Select all

LCD Pins	   VGA PIN

ODD 0-			1	
ODD 0+			11	
GRND				6	
ODD 1-			2	
Odd 1+			12	
GRND				7
ODD 2-			3	
Odd 2+			13	
GRND				8
ODD CLCKIN-     5
ODD CLCKIN+     15
GRND		      10
Am I any where near close?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Re: LG Laptop display Hacking

Post by marshallh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 pm

You will need to buy or build a LVDS display controller to use that. It's a totally different interface that works more like USB/HDMI than old analog RGB. Might check ebay to see if there's a universal lvds controller you could adapt. No guarantees you will find something that works, though.

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 pm

From what I see the controller is a seperate peice of hardware that acts as a converter box of sorts.

How exactly does it work to fit my needs? If there is too much work involved in getting a dual input I would at the very least get a VGA connection put into my LCD. Is that possible without using the controller?

FatylPCs

Post by FatylPCs » Mon May 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Okay. Nevermind my total idiot post above. I didn't realise that the signal had to be translated and that the board on the back of the monitor wasn't capable of doing so.

I have this LVDS controller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5251-Audio-LCD- ... 574wt_1140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) coming in soon, and as it operates using 12v 4amps, I was wondering if I could solder this directly to the power socket (J9A1 - Xenon motherboard) and get power to it without blowing it out. I'm asking simply because I would rather not hack apart a power brick that I would have to order (2 consoles, only 1 video and power connection) to connect to another power brick I would need to run the controller.