vga/rgb input?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

iphone_addict
vga/rgb input?

Post by iphone_addict » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 pm

i have a 9 year old emachines laptop screen witch i would like to use for a n64 portable laptop. i wanted to know if it has rgb. (AND DON'T JUST POST A LINK TO THE "SCREENS YOU CAN AND CANT USE" TOPIC.).i know most laptops dont. it does have as hdmi input.

armarares

Re: vga/rgb input?

Post by armarares » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:51 am

The hdmi input is on the screen or on the motherboard?

iphone_addict

Post by iphone_addict » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:27 pm

motherboard.

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:05 am

iphone_addict wrote:motherboard.
:facepalm:

Are you 100% it's an HDMI INPUT? I find that hard to believe that a 9 year old laptop even has HDMI in the first place.
If you wanted to use it, you can't use the motherboard. You'd need to power the laptop, have it running to connect anything to the HDMI input (if any) and that would just be overkill for an N64p. Your going to be better off using a screen that was designed to take composite input.

I will say, though, if you do want to use that screen (for whatever reason) then invest in an LCD controller board. BUT I warn you- they're iffy, not reliable and need to be programmed to work with that panel.
Once again- it's overkill. I'm assuming that you've got a 15" or higher laptop screen, which is just... well... BIG for an N64p. The N64 doesn't even output video of a high enough resolution to look remotely good on that screen.

Oh, and HDMi does NOT have RGB- HDMI is a smaller version of DVI, but with sound support. DVI (and hence HDMI) is digital, so you aren't going to have any pins with an analog video signal. VGA is analog- so there are RGB pins. DVI (and HDMI) are digital, so you are going to have pins that are completely different. so different that I can't explain it.

tl;dr You can't use that screen. If you tried, it's going to be a pain. if you wanted to directly connect pin to pin, it won't work either.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

iphone_addict

Post by iphone_addict » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:49 pm

:oops: ok. thanks. yeah i wanted to use it because its big (15in.) but i didn't think of the picture quality. oh well... i guess ill look for something different. i want a screen 7in. or bigger, does anyone know of one that would work and would be relitively cheap?(less than $80) like one from a portable TV or DVD player. (i really don't wont a ps1 screen for this.)

griehm

Post by griehm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Once again with screens you can't use. Portable dvd players won't work.
Just get a psone screen. It's the best way.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:00 pm

griehm wrote:Once again with screens you can't use. Portable dvd players won't work.
Just get a psone screen. It's the best way.
Actually, they do. Portable DVD players all have a MCU. Find the datasheet, and you will usually find it has a RGB and SYNC input.
I made mine go through composite this way. RGB is always better nonetheless.

But it is possible.

I would make a guide, but I just dont have the time to do it. Also cant be bothered... Too many photos and text to type. lol.

griehm

Post by griehm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:08 pm

Oh.

Well OK then. I'll keep that in mind!
guides are a pain to type up, especially a noob guide. You have to be so detailed it just gets boring.
Besides that, and the fact that I get bored, I'm considering to make an in depth guide for PS3 portables. They are actually quite easy, depending on how fancy you get. It'll be beneficial to those looking to mod a PS3 or Xbox 360. Of course, I'm going to fully complete my PS3 laptop, but after that I'll look into getting a guide up.
Can anyone let me know if that's a good idea, or am I just going to waste my time?

iphone_addict

Post by iphone_addict » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 pm

So... does anyone know of a 7in. or larger screen that suports rgb.?
Would this work?
http://goodlcd.en.alibaba.com/product/3 ... video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

griehm

Post by griehm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:16 pm

I didn't even click on the link. I saw Alibaba and moved away. In fact, I cried a little on the inside.

But in all seriousness, nothing good has come of that website. Its... odd, per sé.

Just use eBay, I've been using it for years. Or check your local Craigslist postings.

iphone_addict

Post by iphone_addict » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 pm

oh... ok. what about this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Digital-Mon ... 71&sr=8-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(i don't like ebay.) :D
Also. would this be a good 3.5 inch screen for future projects.
http://www.amazon.com/3-5-Inch-TFT-Moni ... =8-3-fkmr2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

griehm

Post by griehm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 pm

iphone_addict wrote:(i don't like ebay.) :D
Fine by me, but you may be passing up good deals. Amazon can overprice some things.
The first one is nice, should work fine in a laptop.

iphone_addict

Post by iphone_addict » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:43 am

cool! thanks! :) i might order one later this week if i can't find somthing better. then i will destroy it! ha! ha! ha! ha!

iphone_addict

Post by iphone_addict » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:52 pm

i got the 3.5 inch screen in the link i posted earlier. i can power it with a 3.6volt psp battery, but i only get a white screen. its not acepting video input. what can i do.

griehm

Post by griehm » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 am

What voltage is required to run the monitor? Usually those run off 12v...
Also (and I'm just check so don't get angry) and you connecting video with the yellow plug?