7" TFT Resistive Touchscreen for project

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

djbadger
7" TFT Resistive Touchscreen for project

Post by djbadger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Folks,
I have just pulled apart a Binatone Homesurf 7 (1st Gen) android tablet with a mind to reuse the 7" TFT panel and attached resistive touchscreen in a little project.

I want to be able to use both the display and touch features on my new PC as a secondary monitor. I want it purely to display system information such as CPU temps, fan speeds, voltages, etc and perhaps use the touch function to control music, etc. The software side of things will essentially just be standard Windows applications being displayed on the secondary monitor and (hopefully) being controlled by the touch function.

Does anyone have an tech specs or information on this panel? It has one label which reads:
7DD-NTE200LHT

I am hoping (probably stupidly) that the pinouts from the panel will translate directly to something like DVI which means my PC can drive it directly. I suspect though I will need some kind of driver board judging from many of the posts on BenHeck.com and other sites too.

Anyway, I hope I can get some pointers in the right direction to kickstart my project! Thanks! :D

djbadger

Re: 7" TFT Resistive Touchscreen for project

Post by djbadger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 pm

A couple of updates about the screen:

Under the existing barcode label was another label with the following serial number:
HLY070ML209-21A

The display ribbon cables (20000600-12) is a 50-Pin and the touchscreen component's ribbon cable is a 4-Pin.

Is there any further advice anyone can provide regarding using a controller/driver board for this screen?

Thanks!

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:10 am

If the touchscreen panel is separate, then you *could* use it, assuming the right conditions (very low chance)
the LCD panel is unusable. You would need to buy a specific controller to use that panel, and I'm 100% sure there is none for that model. normally, the panel interface is proprietary.

There's a sticky around here on what screens you can and can't use, regardless of what type of project it is. Next time, check the stickies before posting something that is already answered.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

djbadger

Post by djbadger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Griehm, I did actually read all 7 pages of the 'screens you can and cannot use' thread and even posted in there if you look.

I feel my questions were valid, and I've had some useful replies (yours not included, honestly). The only reason I posted a separate thread was to make sure I wasn't spamming the sticky thread with stuff that could easily go off the topic.

Ultimately, what I was aiming to find out was if this screen was usable in projects or was too proprietary. Whilst the extremely useful sticky thread talked about the different types of available screen and if they were usable or not I was still interested in getting people's input about this one specifically.

Im not a noob to forums mate. Troll elsewhere yeah?

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:21 pm

djbadger wrote:Im not a noob to forums mate. Troll elsewhere yeah?
Contradictory statements. If you weren't a noob to forums, you wouldn't go "Troll elsewhere yeah?".
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22

Post by griehm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Just super sayan...

But really. I was just going to keep it plain and simple- quite frankly that's the best way to put it. I don't think you'd want this huge paragraph of crap, when all that is needed to say is "you can't use it".

This thread, tl;dr
You might be able to use the touchscreen, but you can't use the screen.

/thread.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.