Will 8.5V kill a psone screen?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

GW2
Will 8.5V kill a psone screen?

Post by GW2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I only have an 8.5V power adapter from a PS2 slim and the plug fits but I obviously don't want to try it until I know if 1 more volt will fry it or not. I just want to test to make sure the screen works so it wouldn't be for an extended period of time.

GW2

Re: Will 8.5V kill a psone screen?

Post by GW2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:53 pm

The answer is no BTW, I got bored and figured I'd try. Works fine, I probably wouldn't run it for long like that but nothing bad happened, and I learned the idiot who owned the screen before me took it apart (more like ripped) and half the screw posts were broken clean off (he obviously didn't know there were any behind the speakers) but the screen works fine. I gues I HAVE to LED mod it now. oh well, with the brightness mod it should be pretty good, lower power consumption is always nice.

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:09 pm

They're good for up to 9v.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:21 pm

The 7.5v supply goes to to 7805 chips which burn off the excess and create a steady 5v. However, it also goes to one pin in the video decoder circuit that is more delicate and not meant to take much more. So your 7805's will definitely get hotter (and they don't have heat sinks) and you may damage your video chip over time..

Instead, you could simply put a couple 1n4001 diodes or similar that can handle about 1 amp or a little more current. each diode should drop down ~0.6 volts (some only 0.3) but that way your diodes will dissipate the extra voltage into heat. Just connect them in series with one of your power lines.

-Segasonicfan