Challenging the sticky thread- Laptop LCD panels!

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22
Challenging the sticky thread- Laptop LCD panels!

Post by griehm » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:11 pm

OK- So this site has the sticky thread outline the fact that LCD panels from laptops WILL NOT work. Well, what about an LCD controller board? They're easily bought off of eBay, and come programmed for multiple panel models (that use the correct connector). Inputs that are on the board can be VGA, DVI and even HDMI! :shock:

So, my question is why aren't people using these? Is there something I'm missing? I'm spying an RGB LED panel for a Dell laptop as a perfect screen for a PS3 laptop. That colour gamut would be killer, same with a 1080p resolution.
Prove me wrong, but I see no issue.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Challenging the sticky thread- Laptop LCD panels!

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

This has been covered many many times.

Yes you can use a laptop lcd with a controller board. I was doing that back in 2004.

The problem is that it is not easy or viable.

1. Not easy. You have to contact the seller on Ebay. They then confirm whether or not they can program the controller for your lcd. If they can then you purchase the controller. But.... it takes a minimum of 4-6 weeks or longer to get it from Hong Kong.

Also while the seller is selling them now, this has not always been the case. There were no sellers for at least 12-18 months. The seller selling them stopped for quite a while. So when the guide was written it was decided since no-one was selling the controller anymore, why say it could be done when it couldn't at the time. Also there weren't laptops being built when the guide was being done. So no PS3 or Xbox360 laptops.

2. Not really viable. Most lcd from older laptops aren't really good quality. Poor off angle viewing. Also they are large. The majority of portables use 3.5"- 5" screens. So why use a 10", 12" , 15" laptop screen.

Also portables are supposed to be, well portable. With a large laptop screen, and a controller you have a large portable.

Also laptop screens with a controller usually need 12v and don't run on much less. Most people want to run their portables on 7.4v so 12v doesn't work.

So after all that rambling, bottom line laptop lcd's don't work in portables. Can they be used in laptops. Yes, but why. Easier and better just to use more modern lcd's.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

griehm

Post by griehm » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:26 pm

Ah, thank you.
I figured a laptop screen would be the best for me at this point- I probably wont have a battery, and if anything it will have to be 12v to power the PS3. The screen would also have to be big or else the entire point of using a PS3 is ruined (mostly for me). The screen is matte, with 178 degrees of viewing angle, and it's an RGB LED backlit screen with exceptional reviews from the online community (Used in the Dell XPS 16 line)
I've found a handful of sellers, some even local (for some) in the US selling HDMI in LVDS boards that will work with my model of screen. Also the one on eBay currently should work as well, at the moment I am awaiting a reply.
Also the seller has express shipping, for 3-5 days of service. this rules out the 3-5 weeks that you mentioned.

Thanks for the bit of info on why it's still up there as "unusable". I think that to be somewhat restricting to new modders, as PS3 and XBox laptops seem to be all the rage with the new people. However, it's up to the admin to change that, not me.

I'll be continuing with my PS3 laptop with the LED screen. I think that that'll turn out phenomenal once everything is assembled. I'll post a thread to let everyone know it is a viable idea, and very possible under the right circumstances.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Yea maybe a mod can just put a note saying that laptop screens are a no-go for portables but can work just fine for laptops.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

griehm

Post by griehm » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 pm

hailrazer wrote:Yea maybe a mod can just put a note saying that laptop screens are a no-go for portables but can work just fine for laptops.
So to clarify- A laptop (PS3/Xbox 360) is NOT considered a portable?
I suppose I can see why, but then again it is "portabalizing" something, isn't it?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 am

griehm wrote:
hailrazer wrote:Yea maybe a mod can just put a note saying that laptop screens are a no-go for portables but can work just fine for laptops.
So to clarify- A laptop (PS3/Xbox 360) is NOT considered a portable?
I suppose I can see why, but then again it is "portabalizing" something, isn't it?
There's some debate on that. LOL

I only consider something portable if it doesn't weigh a lot and has batteries.

Laptops don't qualify IMO.
My Portable Systems:

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Also, the sticky most likely (haven't checked it in a while) meant that a LCD panel by itself was not usable, otherwise, it would have mentioned the then $200 cost of a LCD controller from EarthLCD during that time period -- which was the only known LCD controller source at that time. As soon as you add that you can use an LCD controller for a relatively small cost into the FAQ, you'll just change the question being asked as to how to use one without a controller (which the answer is no), or how to salvage one from a laptop (which you can't, as the controller is integrated into the video chipset). With the vendor of the cheap controllers disappearing and reappearing from time to time, and that noobs almost always expect to just be able to wire the LCD directly to composite, VGA or HDMI without spending any money, it seems to be easiest to just say 'no' to the whole thing. More knowledgeable users will likely find out about the LCD controllers anyway, and there's a post later in that FAQ thread telling about them, just not in the main FAQ itself.

griehm

Post by griehm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:31 am

Now there's an answer. Well, they all were. But tom61 got it for me.

Thanks everyone!

jaqiefox

Post by jaqiefox » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:08 pm

I agree with prettymuch everything here except the point that "these arent viable because laptops aren't portable" and "14 and 15 inch screens aren't portable" arguments. Uh... if you can slip it into a laptop bag or backpack along with an optional ac adapter, and you can use it successfully on your lap without hooking anything or maybe just a controller to it, I call it portable, because, well, guess what, it's... portable. unlike a fulltower case, monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, power strip, and all the support wires.

portable

NOT portable.
Jaqie Fox, Genuine girl techie | http://foxtecha.com

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 pm

jaqiefox wrote:I agree with prettymuch everything here except the point that "these arent viable because laptops aren't portable" and "14 and 15 inch screens aren't portable" arguments. Uh... if you can slip it into a laptop bag or backpack along with an optional ac adapter, and you can use it successfully on your lap without hooking anything or maybe just a controller to it, I call it portable, because, well, guess what, it's... portable. unlike a fulltower case, monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, power strip, and all the support wires.
I think you misunderstood. I was talking laptops as in the PS3 and Xbox 360 laptops being made here. They do not have batteries so are not portable IMO.
My Portable Systems:

jaqiefox

Post by jaqiefox » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 pm

I understood just fine. portable does not mean cordless. take yet another look at the pair of images. which is easy to transport and get going in another location?

Take a good look at the second image, similar to that is what you'll be doing with a console. sound system, LCD monitor, the gaming system, a power strip, controllers....

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Oh well not going to try convincing you otherwise . But a 15-20lb laptop is not a portable to me. I can think of q lot better things to argue about.
You want to call it one go ahead. ;)
My Portable Systems:

jaqiefox

Post by jaqiefox » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:45 pm

port·a·ble/ˈpôrtəbəl/
Adjective:
Able to be easily carried or moved.
Noun:
A version of something that can be easily carried.
Synonyms:
portative - movable
portable and handheld are not the same thing. that said, byebye.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:07 pm

jaqiefox wrote:
port·a·ble/ˈpôrtəbəl/
Adjective:
Able to be easily carried or moved.
Noun:
A version of something that can be easily carried.
Synonyms:
portative - movable
portable and handheld are not the same thing. that said, byebye.
Hmm "easily carried"

Hmm 15-20lbs.

Not my definition of easy to carry. The average person would not think carrying around a 20lb object is easy. My wife just told me that no women in their right mind would carry a 20lb purse around for more than 2 minutes.

Like I said , not my idea of portable.
My Portable Systems:

griehm

Post by griehm » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:02 am

In the wise words of Michael Rosen, "Right! I'm stopping this!" (get it...?)

BOTH are portable for different reasons. Each party can stick to that reason and keep it cooped up inside them, never to be released again. Just ignore it.

On the topic of portable VS non-portable (whatever that may apply to)
Should I put a battery in my PS3 portable? Right now for the design I have it doesn't have room for one. That is, of course, including the power supply, so maybe a swap?
I'm opting for a tablet design, as opposed to a laptop design. Also included is a kick-stand, to complete the look. I think a nice switch up on the traditional way would be nice and original around here, no?

tl;dr- I'm derailing this thread to ask questions on the topic of a PS3 portable (or non portable) since there is now an audience.