Trying to use PSOne screen on PS2

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

thatonedude21
Trying to use PSOne screen on PS2

Post by thatonedude21 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 pm

I've done the +5V to Pin 12 mod, I have the screen hooked up using the original wall adapter, and it's connected to the PS2 through the AV Multi connector. There is absolutely nothing showing up, and there also no sound, just a high pitch sound that lowers slightly in pitch when I turn on the PS2. I've also tried to use camcorder cables to connect to composite cables, but nothing is still showing up. I've read and searched all on the forum and have not found an answer. Help!!

EDIT: The LCD is working now. I redid the solder on the 12th pin to the +5V and now I have sound and an image onscreen (by shining a flashlight on the screen). I'd much rather not do the LED mod (I like the even light distribution, and I've broken too many screens in my lifetime :P), is there a way to make the stock backlight come on?

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Trying to use PSOne screen on PS2

Post by Haunted360 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:51 am

thatonedude21 wrote:EDIT: The LCD is working now. I redid the solder on the 12th pin to the +5V and now I have sound and an image onscreen (by shining a flashlight on the screen). I'd much rather not do the LED mod (I like the even light distribution, and I've broken too many screens in my lifetime :P), is there a way to make the stock backlight come on?
Try turning up the brightness, and ensure the CFCL tube is actually plugged in.

Be careful. It is a very very high shock if you touch the wrong lines ;)

thatonedude21

Post by thatonedude21 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm pretty sure it is plugged in. It's the big plug right beside the transformer at the very top of the board right? If so, it is indeed plugged in. I've also unplugged and then replugged it in (without the power on) and the results are no different. Is there some way I can check to make sure the CCFL isn't blown?

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:56 am

Uh a continuity test may work using your multimeter. While it is off / unplugged of course ;)

thatonedude21

Post by thatonedude21 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Where do I need to check for continuity? I've never done that kind of test before (only really used my multimeter to check voltages and soldering jobs)

Reaper P7
PSN Username:Haha... Yea Right
360 GamerTag:Subscription? Nah.
Steam ID:Refer to email to add me.

Re: Re: Trying to use PSOne screen on PS2

Post by Reaper P7 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 am

thatonedude21 wrote:Where do I need to check for continuity? I've never done that kind of test before (only really used my multimeter to check voltages and soldering jobs)
Measure from the ps1 screen to the corresponding connection on the ps2. Your multimeter has a picture on the dial that when the leads touch, it makes a beep. This is continuity. ;)
The buzzing almost sounds like the sound is grounded out to me. Just check the connections and make sure there are no 'cold' (doesnt actually meet) joints.
Hope that helps! Were all here to try and help one another.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

thatonedude21

Post by thatonedude21 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:07 pm

I think I may have done something wrong...I think I was on the continuity one, but I put two end together and...POP! And the smell of burnt silicone :( The screen does still work though, as shining a flashlight on it reveals an image, but no progress on the backlight still.

Reaper P7

Post by Reaper P7 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:39 pm

I shoulda found a video for you. I.think you might have been measuring current and that was a popped fuse? where did the burning ,originate from?

thatonedude21

Post by thatonedude21 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 am

I'm not too sure since I just heard a sound, but the smell seems like it may have been coming from the lower half of the board.

Reaper P7

Post by Reaper P7 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:04 pm

If you are testing the unit it shouldnt have power hooked up. Did it?

thatonedude21

Post by thatonedude21 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm pretty sure it wasn't hooked up, but I may have not been paying attention...