PSOne LCD VGA in, question concerning high resolution

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

hdx
PSOne LCD VGA in, question concerning high resolution

Post by hdx » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 am

Hi
I'm not interested in making portables at all but you guys are awesome at hacking such things so I hope my question is asked in the right place :)
What I plan to do is to connect my Canon T2i DSLR Camera (1080p HDMI output) to a PSOne LCD screen for external monitoring (useful for framing and such jobs). I know it's not possible in a simple wire connection (HDMI is digital, VGA is analog). I'm planing to buy HDMI-to-VGA converter (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdmi-to-vg ... rter-71816" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) so I have 1920x1080@50Hz on the VGA output. My PSOne LCD will be modded to accept VGA input signal at 640x480 resolution (this is native PSOne LCD's resolution, right?). The question is - does the PSOne monitor will accept high resolution and downscale it or I need additional hardware to do so?

I'd love to hear some ideas from you, guys. Maybe there are some mistakes in my understanding and knowledge so feel free to correct me. Also sorry for my not the best English ;)

BTW. I know there are many nice 5 or 7" portable LCD's made specially for use with DSLR and camcorders but they are expensive and I have spare PSOne LCD screen laying around.
BTW2. Canon T2i also outputs analog composite signal but both quality and resolution aren't enough for me.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: PSOne LCD VGA in, question concerning high resolution

Post by bassmasta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:57 pm

hdx wrote:My PSOne LCD will be modded to accept VGA input signal at 640x480 resolution (this is native PSOne LCD's resolution, right?).
Sorry, the PSone LCD is only 320x240, which is probably not good enough for your uses.

This LCD might be better, a little pricier though, and there are even some HD LCD's that are around this size but are much more pricey.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

hdx

Post by hdx » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:47 pm

It looks like PSOne LCD uses weird timing settings so it can't be used without computer (you can adjust timing settings via Powerstrip). I'm going to use composite input instead.

RockNRoll!

Post by RockNRoll! » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:14 pm

bassmasta wrote:Sorry, the PSone LCD is only 320x240, which is probably not good enough for your uses.

This LCD might be better, a little pricier though, and there are even some HD LCD's that are around this size but are much more pricey.
I'm pretty sure it's 640x480.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm

RockNRoll! wrote:
bassmasta wrote:Sorry, the PSone LCD is only 320x240, which is probably not good enough for your uses.

I'm pretty sure it's 640x480.
No it's 320x240. It can accept a pc 640x480 signal but it downconverts it to 320x240.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance