If the screen requires a different voltage to the system...

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Soop

Post by Soop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:54 am

How do you power it? I know you can use a higher voltage PSU and the system will take what it needs, but does it regulate the voltage at some point?

I want to use a 12v screen with a 9v PC Engine. Just considering that this could be a problem.

Christian

Post by Christian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Same for me :)
Hopefully my ordered screen is satisfied with something like 9V as mentioned here:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=42870" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tom61

Re: If the screen requires a different voltage to the system...

Post by tom61 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:51 am

Soop wrote:How do you power it? I know you can use a higher voltage PSU and the system will take what it needs, but does it regulate the voltage at some point?

I want to use a 12v screen with a 9v PC Engine. Just considering that this could be a problem.
Bad idea! You're confusing Volts and Amps. More Volts may kill the console. It will only draw the Amps it needs if provided the correct voltage.

Less Volts may work for the screen, but do not hook 12V to the PC Engine, at least until it's determined that it has a voltage regulator internally and what its range is.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:13 am

If the screen uses the old-style CCFL backlights, then it may not run on much less voltage, as those backlights tend to require high voltage.

However, if it's LED backlit, then it should be regulated somewhere, which you might have to replace/bypass.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Soop

Post by Soop » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 am

tom61 wrote:
Soop wrote:How do you power it? I know you can use a higher voltage PSU and the system will take what it needs, but does it regulate the voltage at some point?

Bad idea! You're confusing Volts and Amps. More Volts may kill the console. It will only draw the Amps it needs if provided the correct voltage.

Less Volts may work for the screen, but do not hook 12V to the PC Engine, at least until it's determined that it has a voltage regulator internally and what its range is.
Really? I know for my Megadrive, I can use 12V and it will power up fine. I think I've stuck 9V through a 3V Gameboy Pocket too, and it did no harm. Don't know what a voltage regulator looks like. aha. Yes, there is one, and I know exactly where it is. I thought that was an old transistor! Considering where it is, I expect there is space to get 12V from the PSU before the regulator.

And the LCD is the new type.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:39 pm

Not all regulators are fixed output. Check the numbers on it and see the datasheet for it. If it's a 7805, and the voltage doesn't go anywhere else, you'll be fine with putting in 12V then. A great many electronics have regulators that can take a good range of voltages, but not all.

Mr. Bastey

Post by Mr. Bastey » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:59 pm

This thread is perfect timing for me to ask a stupid question :P I've powered a Yobo NES at a 6v minimum, but used a 9v adapter as well. I'm guessing a 12v power supply would fry it?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:08 am

Mr. Bastey wrote:This thread is perfect timing for me to ask a stupid question :P I've powered a Yobo NES at a 6v minimum, but used a 9v adapter as well. I'm guessing a 12v power supply would fry it?
Probably. How is a thread that was posted several months ago 'perfect timing'?