Amazing Discovery! RGB on a portable TV?!?!

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

segasonicfan
Amazing Discovery! RGB on a portable TV?!?!

Post by segasonicfan » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:33 am

After reading a lot of RGB information online I came across the pages at GameSX.com that explain why RGB is the best. Once your TV takes a compsite, S-Video, etc. connection it converts it to RGB inside. This got me thinking: What If I found the RGB conversion inside a portable TV? I researched further.

After taking apart Ben's commonly used Casio EV-660 portable TV I examined and researched each IC chip inside. I spotted a chip made by Sharp (yeah, they make TVs...) and looked for a pinout diagram online. I came up with this:

http://chemisette.free.fr/Casio-QV700.pdf

In the schematic the IR13YBA chip converts all the RGB lines! Though this is a different product, it is the same chip used inside the Casio EV-660. I tried soldering to this TINY 46-pin chip and was unsuccessful...but if at first you don't succeed.... ;-)

I actually did get a partial video at one point but lost it through painfully hard wiring. Anybody think this might work? Post your thoughts!

-Segasonicfan

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:55 am

Well with a steady enough hand anything may be possible with electronics. Well reading all those other threads I thought you had to get a special tv/monitor. If you can leave us some pics of the chip.

And I'm sure this will be of great use to many members on the board.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:42 am

Thanks thats an awewsome tip. I found something like that in my ic chip book thats somewhere...

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:58 am

Of Course! all lcds use rgb, the hard part is finding and soldering the wires to the smt leads.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:51 pm

Yeah, its HAAaRD to solder to those pins, my god its so small. I was using a magnifying glass and burned my nose soldering...lol. The chip itself isn't even one square inch and it has 46 pins. I'm getting another one of these TVs soon though, and i will try it again (I actually soldered it correctly, but unfortunately I had already damaged the chip too much.

Someone tell Ben! Here's better at this than me :P

-Segasonicfan

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:55 pm

Surface mount... use a Multimeter to find other places (bigger traces, holes) to solder your wires.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:58 am

Yea, I've been doing that now. I discovered almost an identical chip inside the RCA 5" Television at Radioshack. It's an IR3Y31M. The schematic for it is here:

http://www.lcdvision.com/download/inter ... R3Y31M.pdf

I tried soldering RGB signals from a Genesis 2 to both the EXT RGB lines and the RGB+Sync outputs but I have been having no luck :( Just a partial picture that moves and flickers (ooh im rhymin! :P)

any ideas?

-Segasonicfan