How do I use this screen?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Reubensupernerd
How do I use this screen?

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey guys,
I was looking for a 5 inch screen to use on my upcoming portable n64 project, I found this. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... J-LW-A-ABN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I don't have a very good idea of how to wire this up. It appears to take RGB input, which is good because I am planning to RGB mod my n64. Oh and I know that it's widescreen (I had the ~3 games supporting 16:9 in mind). Any help deciphering this (the page has a data sheet) would be extremely helpful :)
Thanks in advance,
Reuben

kibble

Re: How do I use this screen?

Post by kibble » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:57 pm

That type of screen requires a controller, which is not included. It can't just be used as is. I hate to have to say this, but trying to use it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Edit: Maybe I should be a little more specific. If you were to be able to find a small controller board for it that could interface directly to it and have analog rgb inputs, then maybe it could be used. The problem is that the inputs to that screen are strictly digital and so the controller has to convert the analog signal from the 64 into a 24bit digital signal that the screen can use. Plus, at a unit price of $120 for that screen it would probably be more cost effective to find something similar that already has inputs. Bare LCD's like that tend to be kinda pricey. :?
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:20 pm

That makes sense, I recall being told that "module" generally includes a pcb whereas "screen" is just the display. Thanks for the clarification. Do you know where I can find VGA/WVGA screens that have controllers (with rgb support) that are more cost effective? I checked AEI comp but I'd like to know if they're any cheaper elsewhere.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Ebay. Everyone I know that has had a screen similar to what you want got it on ebay.

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:52 pm

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/600281/ ... l-lcd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
640x480, VGA-in.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Reubensupernerd

Post by Reubensupernerd » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 am

Thanks bassmasta!