new headache (Haier 7" portable television)

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

no*
new headache (Haier 7" portable television)

Post by no* » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 pm

(this is my first project) On one of the console modding forums, someone recommended a haier portable tv as a screen which seemed like a really good buy because it was only 40$. But when I got it in the mail today, I realised that it was going to give me a lot of problems.

here is the screen:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6889263090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main problem is that it draws 1500mA of power which will severely cut down on the battery life, plus a 7" screen is just huge (in size and weight) and isn't really suited for portables. On the bright side, it comes with a 14.8V 2200mA battery (not much but I can add it onto my main battery for a 2200mA boost) and a serviceable charger, plus the RCA imputs will simplify the whole project.

I think, I'll have to compromise and make it less of a "portable" and more of a "self-contained" console.

My main question is: since it already uses a lithium battery, I'm assuming it has a proper PCB so I won't need to order a new one, is that a safe assumption? Also, if anyone has experience with this screen, what can I remove to make it lighter (or hopefully, more power efficient)? I was going to rip out the TV tuner, but the way it's put in there, I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

edit: just now, I'm noticing that, in the user manual, it claims that it takes 4-6 hours to fully charge the (2200mA) battery. Does this pretty much mean that it would take forever to charge like a 6-7Amp battery? Or worse, that I might not even be able to get a full charge with it?

no*

Re: new headache (Haier 7" portable television)

Post by no* » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 pm

oops, should have put this on the screens board, sorry :S

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:43 am

Moving...
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops

DosHelgato
360 GamerTag:DosHelgato

Post by DosHelgato » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 pm

If anyone has any more info, i would like to use this screen for a gamecube portable. Thanks!

jaqiefox

Post by jaqiefox » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:27 am

I bought this myself for other uses and sporadic use playing my old consoles directly, but honestly it is not good for handheld conversion/hacking at all.

1) it's a very power inefficient system, as you discovered. It takes more power than my 21 inch 1080p computer monitor, and that's not LED backlit.
2) it's 16:9 but can only display 4:3 or "stretched" 4:3 unless you use it's built in over the air digital tuner, which kinda defeats the purpose of having it for modding.
3) the native resolution is 480x214, but again only part of that is usable for anything except it's OTA digital tuner...

there's more disadvantages for this use, but I am a blank right now, had a very tiring day.

Sell it, cut your losses, and get something worthwhile.
Jaqie Fox, Genuine girl techie | http://foxtecha.com

1andrew

Post by 1andrew » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Search for 7" philips lcd on eBay, and I think you'll find what you're looking for.