STILL NEED HELP! - Coby 7" TFT Pinout - STILL NEED HELP!

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Aspect Eleven
STILL NEED HELP! - Coby 7" TFT Pinout - STILL NEED HELP!

Post by Aspect Eleven » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi all. I recently obtained a Coby portable DVD player. The drive was shot, but the screen works. I got the pinout for what the motherboard sends to (or receives from) the screen board. I am wondering how (if I even can at all) I would wire this up. I really don't know all that much about screens, just what I've done with the PS1 screen and SNES, => GND, 7.5V, video, audio l+r. Other than that, I know nothing.

The pins are labeled on the motherboard side (not the screen board side), if it makes any difference.

1) AGND
2) AGND
3) AGND
4) AGND
5) +3.3V
6) +3.3V
7) +3.3V
8) AGND
9) AGND
10) SDA
11) SCL
12) VGND
13) TFT-Y
14) TFT-C
15) VGND
16) SPL+
17) SPL-
18) P4.0
19) P4.1
20) P4.2
21) P4.3
22) SPR-
23) SPR+
24) 5V
25) IR
26) GLED
27) RLED
28) AGND
Last edited by Aspect Eleven on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Coby 7" TFT Pinout - Need help with wiring

Post by hailrazer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:24 pm

It doesn't work that way.

The screen is proprietary. The dvd board converts the signal into a usable signal for the screen. Without the Dvd board the screen does not work.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:26 pm

I see S-video in (Y/C), and speaker amp outputs (SPL, SPR)

An I2C bus probably for setting picture control and audio volume. I'm guessing this board has the lcd driver on it.

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm

marshallh wrote:I see S-video in (Y/C), and speaker amp outputs (SPL, SPR)

An I2C bus probably for setting picture control and audio volume. I'm guessing this board has the lcd driver on it.
I'm not sure what an lcd driver is, but....

There is a separate board that the screen is wired to (I think that is what you are talking about), another board for the "play" "stop" etc., and yet another board that the backlight gets power from. I'm not really interested in that, as I can LED mod it.

From what you are saying, it would seem I can use this screen, because it has the driver board separate, am I correct?

Also, the volume is back on the main motherboard; without it at all, wouldn't volume simply be at max all the time. If that is true, I could then wire up my own volume potentiometer or something. Or do I have to have a speaker amp, as in build a custom one?

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 am

BUMP

I really need to know if this screen will work; I'm trying to use it for a DOL-001 Gamecube

I know the pinout for the A/V, so I know the Y/C pins, and audio, but I just don't know what voltage to hook up to the screen. Do I just run a 5v line to the screen? What are the 3.3v lines for? What are the P4.X lines?