GBA screen swap

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

KirbyKong79
Steam ID:5hinngetta13
GBA screen swap

Post by KirbyKong79 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi guys, I just registered here, and I'm trying to find a thread with a how-to on swapping screens/mobo from an ags-101 into an ags-001 shell. I have an NES edition SP that I want to put the backlight 101 screen in. Thanks in advance.

batteries
Steam ID:autolycus5

Re: GBA screen swap

Post by batteries » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Hey, I just registered too. The best approach to your project is to swap the shells of your two Gameboys. Take the insides of the AGS-101 and put it in the AGS-001 shell. Everything should fit perfectly.

Removing a backlight and then working it onto a screen intended for a frontlight is way more work. You would be dealing with very sensitive diffuser screens and AR film and stuff. I wouldn't attempt it.

PS: I really want a NES SP. They are awesome. Or at the very least, the NES SP case. Lemme know if you know where to find one for cheap. Thanks!

DiscoPanda

Post by DiscoPanda » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Any idea if the screen from either an AGS-001 or an AGS-101 would work in an AGB-001? Other than having to work out how to wire up the light of course.

batteries

Post by batteries » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I think the only difference between the AGS screens and the AGB screen is the shape of the lens and the backing on the LCD. The AGS-001 and the AGB-001 are both reflective TFT.

The AGS-101 is backlit, so it would have a light stuck the back, probably no reflective film there. The AGS-001 and AGB-001 are both lit from the front by internal and external light, respectively. So both of them would have a reflective film on the back. Nintendo makes minimal hardware so I'm guessing the LCD unit is the same on all three.

I think you could easily swap the AGS-001 and the AGB-001 LCD units. You would just need to change out the lenses. If you want to swap the AGS-101 screen and the AGB-001 screen, you would have to remove/add a reflective film and/or backlight.

DiscoPanda

Post by DiscoPanda » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:09 am

Obviously an AGS-101 screen would be nicer (it lights up better), but either one is an improvement over the stock screen (it doesn't light up at all).

Also tempted to modify it to take a GBA SP battery. (I think the batteries my Gamester Power Fix battery pack are dying on me, and this is my second one now... It didn't take nearly as long as the first one to do this, maybe they're all just getting old now? Yeah, I could probably just repack it with new cells, but the SP battery probably has better energy density anyways.)

Why don't I just use an SP? I've tried using the one my brother has, and it makes my fingers hurt after not that much use. The original GBA doesn't make my fingers hurt. So obviously I'll pick the one that doesn't make my fingers hurt. :-)

batteries

Post by batteries » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am

DealExtreme.com sells a unit that looks just like an AGB but the screen is backlit. I'ts a AGB knockoff If you are just looking to play games and not necessarily all about modding, I would go with the DealExtreme unit.

luvecor

Post by luvecor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:51 am

agree. DealExtreme unit is good for games, but for games only