Am I missing something? [DREAMCAST]

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

PyGuy
Am I missing something? [DREAMCAST]

Post by PyGuy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi. I am having trouble powering my PSone Screen and my Dreamcast at the same time. I have a 7.2v battery which successfully made the disk spin and everything, but I wired up the PSone screen as follows:

SCREEN SLOT ONE:
7.5v IN -> The plus side of the battery

SCREEN SLOT TWO:
Composite Video IN [Pin 1] -> Pin 13 on Dreamcast AV
Right Audio IN [Pin 2] -> Pin 2 on Dreamcast AV
Left Audio IN [Pin 3] -> Pin 3 on Dreamcast AV

Is there something I'm missing? So far it doesn't power the screen, just the DC.

DiscoPanda

Re: Am I missing something? [DREAMCAST]

Post by DiscoPanda » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Do you have any sort of ground connections? The "DC IN 7.5V" connector needs the center part to connect to positive, and the outer part needs to connect to ground (battery negative). The A/V connector probably has some sort of ground pin that goes to a matching ground pin on the Dreamcast, too.

Yes, usually having ground connections is implied, but I'm just making sure.

PyGuy

Post by PyGuy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Ohhh I wasn't sure about the grounds. I'll reply if it works or not when I have the grounds connected.

PyGuy

Post by PyGuy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Hmm...both grounds in slot one (pin 2 and 7) are connected to the - side of the battery but the screen still isn't turning on. Is there some sort of written guide somewhere? Or can someone tell me what pins connect to where for a simple composite signal and power signal?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Do you see green lines if you hit the buttons on the front of the PSOne screen? Does the screen work on its own with the buttons on the proper power supply? No to both, means you have a model that requires you to connect a couple of pins together to tell it that it's connected to a PSOne.

PyGuy

Post by PyGuy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 pm

The battery fails to turn the screen on, so no, neither

EDIT: which pins do I need to connect together to make it think its on a psone? All I know it that its one of the models that came with a psone unit (or so the box said).