PSone screen amplifier damaged

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Disco_Stu
PSone screen amplifier damaged

Post by Disco_Stu » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi everyone.
I've been working on some last changes to my portable Nintendo 64 project at the weekend when a little accident happened: To get some space for a d-pad an the analog stick I've moved the two capacitors at the left side of the screens controller, where the amplifier is.

Image Image

This worked finde until the left leg of the left cap got shortly connected to the +7,5V of my power supply, while testing around (the portable and the screen were switched of at this point, but gnd was connected). There is a component (diode?) marked as "DP1" which looks damaged but I'm not sure wether it is part of the amp or of the inverter (which was damaged before).

Now the sound output is still working, but it is extremely loud and there is a buzzing noise in the background. Is there any chance of getting this fixed?
As the screen is led-modded and completely wired I can't follow the traces from the cap as they are leading under the display, so I can't figure out which part of the amp is damaged...

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Re: PSone screen amplifier damaged

Post by marshallh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:08 pm

protection diode. replace.

is it labeled ZHU33

Disco_Stu

Re: PSone screen amplifier damaged

Post by Disco_Stu » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:00 am

Thanks for your reply. I've tested the diode by swapping it with one from another PSone screen, but the sound issue is still there... frustrating :?