Help me figure out the composite input on this screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

overlordlink
Help me figure out the composite input on this screen

Post by overlordlink » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Well I got a VCR with a Lcd screen on it for $15 at a rams rack its a Audiovox VBP2000 -VCR. Anyways I was wondering if it was usable for a hacked portable screen I have already disassembled it and removed the screen with no trouble at. Now the VCR had composite video input so im guessing that means it usable but i'm not that much of a electronics guru. So any and all help will be greatly appreciated and I will post a picture of the screen and the composite input jacks for the VCR. :mrgreen:

this is from the VCR board its not connected to the screen but i may wnat it connected havnt decided yet

I will have some higher definition pictures up soon.
Last edited by overlordlink on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

GeckoLink

Re: Is this screen usable or not?

Post by GeckoLink » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:15 am

all screens with AV inputs can be used therefore this one can be used

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:18 am

Alright that's what I was thinking, but as I said i'm not that great with electronics so I just wanted to double check. Now how do I figure out which ones are the input on the screen? :? Oh and my pictures may have been a bit misleading the composite input jacks arent connected to the screen those came off of the board in the VCR.
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:47 pm

:wink: BUMP :wink:
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:07 pm

If the VCR connects to the screen, and the VCR has composite inputs, there is a way to make it work. It just might take a lot of space due to extra hardware...

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Im alright with that its my first portable after all and i just want to get one under my belt so i can progress and make better ones. so what did you have in mind to make it work?
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Trace the composite input to the screen using a multimeter - if you want help, pictures of the entire thing are useful. In essence, it's just a matter of finding put what you can remove.

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Alright tommorow i will get my good camera charged up and take some better pictures. Also how do i trace the composite input with a multimeter?
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:16 am

Look at the traces with your eyes, see how close to the board you can get without running into a component (like a capacitor, transistor, resistor, etc - the close to the screen you can get without components, the better.

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:30 pm

But what does that have to do with a multimeter please elaborate.
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Here is my screen.
ImageImage
ImageImage
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:55 pm

overlordlink wrote:But what does that have to do with a multimeter please elaborate.
Use the continuity check on your multimeter - see if two parts are connected. Then you can possibly bypass parts of the board that are unnecessary.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:01 pm

So should i go put the vcr back together? :shock: i should have taken some notes on how to put i back together..... oh well imma give it a go :?
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

overlordlink

Post by overlordlink » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:35 pm

well thats a no go can i do it with out being able to put the vcr back together?
You Have Been Warned!!!
Spoiler:

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Trace from where the composite video is put in (yellow jack) and see if you can directly put it in somewhere closer to the screen. May involve disassembling VCR, I don't know.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.