Haunted360 - PSone LCD Screen Controller Board Light Issue

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360
Haunted360 - PSone LCD Screen Controller Board Light Issue

Post by Haunted360 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Hey, I have a 3rd party PSone TFT LCD Screen that I LED Modded.

Now, the LED's are working fine and they are at a current of 3.0 Volts.

The issue is, that the controller board is setting its own white balance I believe. So when the power is unplugged, it is very bright. However, when I plug the screen in with the controller board, it goes very very dim.

Is there a component I can de-solder and upgrade?

I doubt going through RGB will fix it... Correct me if I am wrong!

I reckon it is actually in (programmed) the IC chip somewhere on the board, because it does have contrast control - VIA up / down to increase / decrease it, but it is very stupid of them to do this I think...

Any ideas?

Thanks

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: Haunted360 - PSone LCD Screen Controller Board Light Issue

Post by blaze3927 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:41 am

ooo i remember theres a component you can bridge to fix that
Ben's Official Way to Improve PSOne Backlight Mod

By Ben Heckendorn
Hey guys, this is Ben Heckendorn, you know, the runner of the site who occasionally pops up so you know I'm not dead. Anyway, while working on my next ALL-NEW portable system, I made a discovery regarding the PSOne screen!
Long ago I did a LED backlight mod to my screen and I know quite a few of you have adapted it. While it DOES work and lowers the power usage by a lot, it's not very bright.

WELL, NOW THAT HAS CHANGED!

Strictly by accident, while holding the PCB of the screen, I noticed by putting your fingers on certain places it changed the image. The horizontal position, the colors. If I licked my finger and touch the middle of the board, the whole image got way brighter (as you can see, I'm incredibly scientific) I narrowed it down to ONE surface-mount component. I placed the JPG on my website, use this link to find it: [acually, it's right here. -abbibi]
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: Haunted360 - PSone LCD Screen Controller Board Light Issue

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:00 am

THANK YOU!

You saved the Pn64 (well, Ben Heck did) and it's Development is back.

It didn't make it that much brighter...

... But it was better than it was. So thanks!