PSone screen buzz

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Falco
PSone screen buzz

Post by Falco » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:26 pm

Is it normal for the screen board to make a constant high pitched buzzing noise? No A/V signal coming in, just the power plugged in and the speakers unplugged, even.

Also, I can't seem to get audio out of it, and I don't know if this is related or not.

lovablechevy
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: PSone screen buzz

Post by lovablechevy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am

do you still have the original tube lighting it? the screen is known to give off a sound when power is going to it.
they call me the Queen of Bondo, though maybe i should be called the Queen of Epoxy Putty

current project - code name: blue mushroom!

Falco

Post by Falco » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:55 pm

I have not done any mods to it. So it's just the light that buzzes? It always makes me think that something's shorting or loose.

Falco

Post by Falco » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Okay, the buzzing doesn't really bother me so much as the sound not working.

I tried following the traces and attaching a speaker at the nearest component bridge, but still no sound. Does anyone have a chart of alternative audio traces I can wire to besides the speaker ports?

Goldstubble

Post by Goldstubble » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Here is a question for you: are you planning on using headphones? If not, you can connect the HP_R, HP_S, and HP_L pads on the back of the board near the bottom. If you hadn't done this already, I believe your board won't output audio.

If you are planning on using headphones, I suggest investigating into this (I'm not using headphones, so I'm no expert). I'm sure someone around here knows the proper way to hook up a headphone jack.

If you have already connected the HP pads, then I'll just give you some pics.
Here is a pinout by Erlex:
ps1 screen pins - Erlex.jpg
ps1 screen pins - Erlex.jpg (248.03KiB)Viewed 5904 times
Here is a pinout by Zenloc:
psone screen - zenloc 2.jpg
psone screen - zenloc 2.jpg (253.41KiB)Viewed 5904 times

Falco

Post by Falco » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:59 pm

So what you're saying is that if the headphone connections aren't grounded or connected, no audio will come out at all? I'm not sure I understand that.

Goldstubble

Post by Goldstubble » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Kyo's Site wrote:If you are not going to use the headphone jack, you need to solder the headphone left, right and switch (pin 5,6,7 on the right connector - the one with 10 pins) together. This is because the headphone switch (which detects if a headphone is inserted) otherwise thinks you're listening to headphones and the screen will not give you sound.
Don't ground them, btw.

That's from this page: http://kyorune.com/modding/article.php?id=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, near the bottom of this page, you'll find how to hook up headphones.

Falco

Post by Falco » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:47 pm

I would assume that having the switch disconnected or not grounded would be the same as not having headphones in.

I bought another screen, but I'd just rather not throw this thing away so readily.

EDIT

Nevermind, I read the part you pointed out, and now it all makes sense. I wired the headphone connections all together, but the sound is still coming out of the headphone connection(s) (Now that I know where to check for sound).