Driver board of LCD monitor toast?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

michael_0u812
Driver board of LCD monitor toast?

Post by michael_0u812 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:18 pm

I took apart an lcd monitor and when I put it back together, it didn't work. I realized I had the ribbon connector upside down so I switched it and it's still not working right.
What it's doing is lighting up black/grey and if I hit the source button, it goes black for a second and then back to the grey just like it is changing inputs but nothing shows on the screen.
Is it possible that I fried the driver board? I have thoroughly checked all of the connections.

tom61

Re: Driver board of LCD monitor toast?

Post by tom61 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:09 pm

Those connectors are really hard to get in right if you're talking about those thin plastic ones, it may not be making full connection still. You need to unlock the retention mechanism, look for two tabs on either side of the ribbon connector and try pushing them out from the connector or flipping them up, pull the cable back out, see that the pins are the right way, pushing it all the way back into connector, then locking the retention mechanism again while holding it in place.

Edit: Just recalled there are many types of these things, a picture would help if it's not like the above description.

michael_0u812

Post by michael_0u812 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:58 am

Oops, I forgot to mention that the ribbon cable is all metal on the opposite side of the pins. By putting the cable in upside down it might have short-circuited everything. Here are pics of the connector

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:57 am

If it's all metal on the other side (which is a bit odd), it probably has shorted something. Start looking for micro fuses and see if they're dead (pending it is even fused on those lines).