Splitting Gateway 1775w Power/Inverter Board

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

FA-MAS
Splitting Gateway 1775w Power/Inverter Board

Post by FA-MAS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 pm

I just browsed through all 42 pages and didn't see a thread. I'm wondering if anyone has a guide on how to split the Power/Inverter board for the Gateway 1775w. I can see where specifically to split it in one of Ben's making of blogs. But, I can't gleam the detail of where to solder wires between the 2 pieces.

Also I'm wondering if it'd be possible to just ditch the power section and directly power the inverter part and driver board from the 12v and 5v of a PC power supply. If so, where might I solder those?

collinE

Re: Splitting Gateway 1775w Power/Inverter Board

Post by collinE » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:47 pm

It's possible to ditch it. I'll post a guide up on the bare minimum you need for wiring the Gateway 1775w soon.

You need to connect the 5v, 12v, and Ground to the driver board where it's labelled on the pinout. Then you need to connect the VADJ, VOn/Off, 12v, and Ground from the driver board to where the traces go on the inverter board. That's it.

Does that make sense?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

FA-MAS

Post by FA-MAS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 pm

It does make sense. My monitor's still on the way so I can't actually look at the pinout labels. But on Ben's build log, I can see the cables going from the driver board to the inverter board. Can't see on what traces though. I would greatly appreciate a guide that points out those specific spots.

FA-MAS

Post by FA-MAS » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:26 am

I also took apart the monitor. Here are pics of the power/inverter and control boards. Anyone know where I should split the power/inverter? Also, I plan on leaving out the power section all together.

I see the header between the power board and control board is labeled so I know where to route the 12v and 5v on that. But I also need to provide those to the inverter section and I don't know where.

Inverter/Power Board Top:
http://www.dappergamesmen.com/uploads/p ... verter.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inverter/Power Board Bottom:
http://www.dappergamesmen.com/uploads/p ... terbtm.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it's clearly divided between the high voltage section, and low voltage. Looks like I could literally split it right on the massive white line. Seems like on the top side of the white line, it's where it's 12v. Then the top half, I can cut in half vertically. Looks like the left side is all the hardware to get a 5v. On the left side there's a header that goes to the control board. I can trace everything except for 5v over to the right side which looks like it's for the inverter. The inverter would only run on 12v right?

collinE

Post by collinE » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Sorry again for the delay. Here's the guide.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous