RGB Questions

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight
RGB Questions

Post by jdmlight » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:01 pm

This isn't related to portable screens, but rather larger screens. I thought the screen section seemed most appropriate, but if someone thinks this belongs in another section, that's fine.

Anyway, so I just got VGA working on my PS2. My monitor supports sync-on-green, so I only had to wire up red, green, blue, and ground to a VGA plug. Here's what I noticed:
  • Only works with progressive-scan games. Won't work with interlacing AT ALL.
  • Quality is vastly improved over composite.
  • Lag is noticeably less than using a USB TV tuner through my computer (my previous solution).
  • Not all games support progressive-scan.
And it is that last point which spawns my question: is there any sort of de-interlacer that I can use so that I can play *all* PS2 games over VGA? Also, do most consoles (other than the PS2) put out RGB with interlacing (for example, the N64 or the SNES, as I'm looking at buying one of those soon)?

For now, I'm just going to enjoy finishing God of War II in wonderful clarity over VGA. :D

Edit: After a few hours of researching this, it seems that I've run into the typical DIYer problem: there ARE deinterlacer chips available, but they're only available in huge quantities. One chip I found is the ABT2010, which supposedly has RGB, composite, HDMI, and S-video inputs with HDMI output. It scales and deinterlaces, which is exactly what I want. But I couldn't find anywhere that stocks the chip, and the evaluation board seems just as difficult to find. :?
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Aguiluz

Re: RGB Questions

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 pm

You got your RGB to work on a PS2? I got a Sync-On-Green capable monitor as well, yet wiring up my RGB lines to VGA renders no output at all. What options do you put in?

EDIT: A homebrew program called GSMODE for the PS2 forces Progressive Scan output.

http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Aguiluz wrote:You got your RGB to work on a PS2? I got a Sync-On-Green capable monitor as well, yet wiring up my RGB lines to VGA renders no output at all. What options do you put in?

EDIT: A homebrew program called GSMODE for the PS2 forces Progressive Scan output.

http://www.psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll have to try out GSMODE...

Anyway, I'll assume you wired up your VGA adapter correctly (it didn't work for me the first time, then I realized the diagram I found on Google was a mirror image of my DVI-VGA connector :lol: ). Here's mine:
Made with a spare VGA-DVI adapter, some wires soldered on, and a bunch of alligator clips.

But anyway, after you set "Component output" in the PS2 settings menu to RGB (instead of YPbPr), you have to start the game plugged in with a composite (yellow) cable to select "Progressive scan" in the game's settings menu. Once you select Progressive scan, the composite won't display anymore and the VGA will.

Also, on most games you can hold down X and triangle while the game is booting (start holding down when you power on the PS2, hold down through the manufacturer's logos and such) and it'll present to you a "Are you sure you want to turn on Progressive mode? y/n" dialog box. To which you obviously say yes. You can do this without having the composite workaround above by working blind: just hold down X and triangle for about how long it takes for a game to boot, release, then press X. This should make it start in progressive mode.

Selecting progressive mode was what made it work for me. Progressive mode isn't supported on all games though, Wikipedia has a nice list of games that support it. I've personally tried Guitar Hero II and God of War II.
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:19 am

Also, do most consoles (other than the PS2) put out RGB with interlacing (for example, the N64 or the SNES, as I'm looking at buying one of those soon)?
Almost all consoles before the Dreamcast are interlaced and/or too low a res to work on a VGA monitor. You'll need an upscaler to use older consoles using RGB on a VGA monitor. They do sell boxes that are intended to let you hook non-VGA consoles to VGA monitors fairly cheaply, with very little lag (probably unnoticeable to most people).

jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:25 am

tom61 wrote:
Also, do most consoles (other than the PS2) put out RGB with interlacing (for example, the N64 or the SNES, as I'm looking at buying one of those soon)?
They do sell boxes that are intended to let you hook non-VGA consoles to VGA monitors fairly cheaply, with very little lag (probably unnoticeable to most people).
Such as? I'm very interested in one, but I've only found ones with composite/s-video input. I'd want something with either RGB or component inputs. If you have a link to one, I'd greatly appreciate it.