Gamecube/LCD mod

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

whatifiman00b
Gamecube/LCD mod

Post by whatifiman00b » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi. I don't really know how to start this out, but here I go...

I have a gamecube, a really big toaster, and a 7" LCD display. Guess what I'm going to do with them? Well, I've done plenty of that stuff before, but I have one problem. I really want to use this display, but I have no experience with repairing things like it. I kind of know what is wrong with it, one of the parts is burned out. I would be able to take it out and replace it fairly easily, but I have no clue what the part is. I'll post some pictures of it, and maybe I'll turn back later and ask for help later on in the project.

(I haven't done any posts on this website, so I might do something wrong)

whatifiman00b

Re: Gamecube/LCD mod

Post by whatifiman00b » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Ok, so I tried to attach the file, but it is in valid. Why could that be? But I'll explain it anyways. It is a small plastic rectangle soldered onto the circuit board, and the top is open and there are copper wires inside of it. I will keep trying though!

whatifiman00b

Post by whatifiman00b » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Well, I finally found a way to compress my photos using Picasa by googe, after multiple other programs and the one built into my mac didn't work.
Attachments
DSC01493.JPG
Here it is, in its 66KB glory.
DSC01493.JPG (187.96KiB)Viewed 2566 times

kibble

Post by kibble » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm

whatifiman00b wrote:I'll explain it anyways. It is a small plastic rectangle soldered onto the circuit board, and the top is open and there are copper wires inside of it. I will keep trying though!
It's not plastic, it's a very light ferrous material and the whole assembly with the copper is the high voltage transformer for the lamp.

It's also not very likely that the transformer died, unless something went horribly wrong with the high voltage output. Do you know for sure that it's fried? Can you still see stuff on the screen but the backlight is not on when you apply power/video?
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

whatifiman00b

Post by whatifiman00b » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that that is it. Nothing appears on the screen when I turn it on. As soon as this happened the first time, I was in the middle of playing my awesome gamecube. I took it apart immediately after I tested it on multiple outlets, and that element thing was covered by a sticker with a lightning-electricity warning bolt thing. I took if off, and the element was kind of warm, I don't know if that is normal or not. The sticker definitely had burn marks on it though.

whatifiman00b

Post by whatifiman00b » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Ok, now I understand. So I can't see anything at all on on the screen. That probably means that that is only partially the problem, right?