PSone LCD Mobo damaged - can I fix it?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Azrael
PSone LCD Mobo damaged - can I fix it?

Post by Azrael » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 am

Hello together,

unfortunately my psone lcd motherboard fell down and some parts broke. I took a picture from the internet and marked the damaged parts:

The 2 red marked parts are completely damaged. No chance to fix them. Can I replace these 2 parts? If yes, what kind of parts are they? Restistors? Capacitors?

The blue marked part (coil) is slightly broken. I think I can fix it with a glue and a soldering iron.

As far as I know these components are used for the lcd backlight, right? What do they do apart from supplying the backlight with 7,2V current?

Please help!

Best regards,
Azrael

kibble

Re: PSone LCD Mobo damaged - can I fix it?

Post by kibble » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 pm

That section actually steps up the 7.5V used up to several hundred volts for lighting up the lamp. The two smaller parts you circled are capacitors, the one on the left is most likely a high voltage cap and could probably just be substituted with a high voltage cap from a cheap ccfl inverter. The one on the right would be a lower voltage cap, but I don't know what exactly it is. If you LED mod your screen, you could just remove all those components and not worry about it.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks for the information. I think in that case I'll have to do the LED mod. I found the following tutorial:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 356,00.asp

Is that a good one or is there a better one somewhere else?
How bright (MCD) should the LEDs be?
Is it better to use 1 resistor per LED or 1 for all?

Best regards,
Azrael

kibble

Post by kibble » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:09 pm

That guide looks ok, I haven't done it myself so I can't give you specifics, but I would say probably the brightest you can find, you can always use resistors to lower the intensity if they're too bright. I would think it's best to hook up one resistor per LED. Someone else who has actually done it might chime in with more info.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:45 pm

It's recommended that each led has it's own resistor, and that guides resistor spec is wrong, it's not 10 ohms, it has to be at least 33 ohms.

As for the brightness it is less bright then the original back light, but there is a contrast mod for it as well, just bridge a capacitor on the back of the screen and everything's bright.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage