Is my ps1 lcd screen fixable?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

stuntpenguin007
Is my ps1 lcd screen fixable?

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:42 pm

It broke a couple months ago, so here's about all I remember. I had the screen hooked up to my ps1 with the power plugged in, but I'm pretty sure it was off. I smelled something hot (burning smell), so I looked around, and my ps1 screen was really hot. I unplugged it and let it sit for a while, but now when I try to use it, the backlight doesn't come on at all, and I get no picture on the screen. You can't even see the volume control on screen, although the screen does slightly flicker when I turn my ps1 on and off.

I may have had voltage coming into the ps1 through the controller ports at the time (long story, I was making a controller emulator) but it definitely wouldn't have been more than 5V or 6V. When I tried plugging in my controller emulator, it caused the power led on the ps1 to turn green, even though the power switch was turned off.

Sorry if everything I just typed sounds like crap, I'm really tired :?

edit: I also tested the fuses, and they're still good. The fuses that say ps1 and ps2 above them that is.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

Axaj

Re: Is my ps1 lcd screen fixable?

Post by Axaj » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 am

All I can imagine is a short circuit or reversed polarity voltages.
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:54 pm

If it still slightly flickers when turning it on, the backlight might be blown.

Turn it on while giving it an image to display, and hold up a bright flashlight. If you can vaguely see what's supposed to be on there, that's probably what it is.

stuntpenguin007

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks! Turns out it was the backlight. I'll just have to led mod it now.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%