Cheap 8" touchscreen -- Will it perform?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Axaj
Cheap 8" touchscreen -- Will it perform?

Post by Axaj » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:41 pm

I found this 8" touchscreen for much cheaper than I could find on screens anywhere else. However, the lack of consistent reviews has me a bit scared to buy it. I am in the market for an about 5-7" touch screen, so if someone could direct me to a guide on installing a touchpanel by myself (I have looked long and hard and have found little) that would be great.
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Re: Cheap 8" touchscreen -- Will it perform?

Post by bassmasta » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Well, uh...what are you installing it in?

Edit: :facepalm: I missed that its a desktop monitor. You pretty much pop in the cd, install the drivers, reboot, and hope that it works. It can take video over RCA and VGA, but you'll connect it via USB I think.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:42 pm

bassmasta, he means installinng a touch panel on another lcd screen. beyond that, i dont know much about how its actually done. :cry:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:56 pm

The most commonly used 7" touchscreen Lcd's are the Liliput and Xenarc screens. The one you linked to is the Shark model from http://www.gooddeals18.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is a very good screen for the money.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

bassmasta
Steam ID:randomguy737

Post by bassmasta » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:37 pm

samjc3 wrote:bassmasta, he means installinng a touch panel on another lcd screen. beyond that, i dont know much about how its actually done. :cry:
Oh. The one he linked to was a touchscreen monitor, not like a kit.
zeturi wrote:If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Actually, my question was will this seller rip me off? And if so, are there any cheap ways of doing it myself?
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:56 pm

Axaj wrote:Actually, my question was will this seller rip me off? And if so, are there any cheap ways of doing it myself?
I have bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Gooddeals18.com. Excellent sellers.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Axaj

Post by Axaj » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:59 pm

hailrazer wrote:
Axaj wrote:Actually, my question was will this seller rip me off? And if so, are there any cheap ways of doing it myself?
I have bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from Gooddeals18.com. Excellent sellers.
Great, thanks!