use microphone jack forvideo input on laptop?(iknow it crazy

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

mesojin
use microphone jack forvideo input on laptop?(iknow it crazy

Post by mesojin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:50 pm

probably an insane idea, but why cant an a/v cable be connected to the microphone jack of a laptop and use some software to convert that into video? i mean the jacks are the same ( i know the a/v has an extra band, it doesnt matter as i think the first band is the video one)

this is porbably has not been done, but shouldnt it be possible and be better than one of those usb adapter things? ( i heard they lag a lot, i plan on playing fps on the portable so yea)

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: use microphone jack forvideo input on laptop?(iknow it crazy

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Are you serious? :facepalm:

The headphone jack on a laptop has video coming out of it for headphones.

You can't just randomly change that to a video output or video input for a laptop. :roll:
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

mesojin

Post by mesojin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:12 pm

i was talking about the microphone jack, and yes as my title states i know its crazy and very probably and most likely impossible idea

the microphone jack gets a analog signal comming into the laptop that is analized as sound by the computer, so whats not to say a analog video signal coulndt be sent in through it?

im just wandering if this is THEORITICALLY possible at all, more of something to ask for fun than practicallity really

i dont know much about the theory behind how the cables work so i am likely looking like a complete idiot lol

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:15 pm

Oh the microphone jack. Well in that case ... Um well no.

LOL

That's not the way a Laptop works. It's not just as simple as writing a code and the electronics magically change to the circuits needed to decode signals.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

mesojin

Post by mesojin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:20 pm

thought so, but had to ask lol my next laptop will have a way to get video input somehow....

mesojin

Post by mesojin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:26 pm

sorry for double post...

might as well learn from ignorance than stay that way; is there any screen to get a crisp images for portables? something around 10-12 inches and i can actually read small texts? i have a 9 inch wide screen portable dvd player, but connecting the xbox 360 the av input gets really not so great image quality... i play it on my 22 inch pc monitor with the vga cable usually

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:30 pm

You are not going to get crisp text with composite in on any monitor.

The text will be slightly better with RGB in on some monitors. But you really need a VGA in monitor for crisp text. But then you need a console that outputs vga.
My Portable Systems:

mesojin

Post by mesojin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 pm

oh ok ic ic; i have vga for the xbox 360, i guess i will look around for a small screen with vga ( i got a 15 inch one that has speakers at the side, but i think its a bit too big)

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Go to ebay and search for "Easy cap." You plug it into the usb port on your compy and you can get video input that way. It's only like 10 bucks.

mesojin

Post by mesojin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 pm

i keep hearing it lags, and then someone told me only if you play audio and video.... has anyone used easycap or something like that?

Deck

Post by Deck » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:21 pm

I have an easycap.

If you play without audio, it lags, but only ever so slightly. Games are still playable.

If you play with video and audio, the lag is horrid, (the audio sounds like crap, too, for some reason). Unplayable.

If you record while playing (recording both audio and video) but not actually playing the audio (no audio is coming out of the computer speakers), it's the same as playing with video but not audio (maybe an iota of more lag). The audio on the recording sounds fine. Still playable.

However, the video quality sucks. Straight up.

dragonnn777

Post by dragonnn777 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:12 pm

wait; you wouldn't have to change the circuiting for it to receive the television signal? would you really? seriously? have to change the circuiting completely???????

kibble

Post by kibble » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 pm

An audio input jack on a computer doesn't support the bandwidth or have the hardware required for video processing, such as video splitters and digitizers. The hardware associated with it is built to handle frequencies in the audio spectrum and not much else.
Coming Soon: Kibble's L'Ectroshop (parts and stuff FS)