Getting Solder to stick - AKA dumb clear coat problems

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

egomine
Getting Solder to stick - AKA dumb clear coat problems

Post by egomine » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:25 pm

I am trying to make the screen modifications as per Ben's book. The problem I'm having is that I cannot get any solder to stick to anything. It appears there is a clear coating of something all over the PSOne (I bought it brand new out of the box). I tried scraping it off with an exacto knife, but no luck. Any ideas?

G-force

Post by G-force » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:49 pm

I'm not copmpletely sure what "clear stuff" you're talking about.
Try using flux. Put some on the place you want to solder and heat it with your sodlering iron and then the solder will stick.

egomine

Post by egomine » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:40 am

Thanks for the tip I will look into it.

As for the clear layer on my PSOne Screen, it's a shiny clear coating that seems to keep the soldering/desoldering iron from heating up the solder. I had the same problem with the piece at the top (the one that get's thrown away), so I sniped the leads off (noticing that the clear coating was actually pretty thick this then exposed the metal lead. At this point I was able to touch a desoldering iron to the exposed (remaining pieces) of the leads and desolder them off the board very easily.