check this out

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames
check this out

Post by blaze3927 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:47 am

Hi
basically i tried lookin for two 5" lcd's for a portable psone and n64 and trying to find the psone screen in australia is like searching for a koala in america. I have found one on ebay however but price plus postage would end up costing 200 AUD each.
So i found this site
http://www.alibaba.com
and I got a quote for the following screens featuring

low power consumption
led backlight
operating voltage : 9 - 15 volts
ntsc/pal auto switcher

Size - resolution - price(USD) - board version

3.5(4:3) - 320x240 - $24/unit - JD35MQL(PAL/NTSC)
4"(4:3) - 320*234 - $39/unit - JD40PVL(PAL/NTSC)
5"(4:3) - 640*480 - $35/unit - JD50MLXD(PAL/NTSC)
5.6" - 320*234 - $31/unit - JD56AUL(PAL/NTSC)
7" (16:9) - 480*234 - $29/unit - JD70AUL(PAL/NTSC)

but you have to buy a minimum of two.....
price does not include postage

apparently does not accept paypal :(

datasheets
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LN4H0CUQ

seller
http://www.szsjd.en.alibaba.com

Sample pic of the lcd in action supplied by the seller

would be epic if someone (maybe a benheck shop?) bulk bought them and resold them.
Last edited by blaze3927 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: check this out

Post by Rekarp » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:31 am

Great find I wonder if they are decent quality.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Gordon1

Post by Gordon1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm interested in this. Which particular seller is this? Also, a data sheet would be good.

Gordon1

Post by Gordon1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:17 pm

So, whats up with these screens?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 pm

If there's one kind of electronic component I'm familiar with, it's LCD's. Here's my two cents.

Shipped from: China
Minimum Order: 2

- 11.7cm tall. That's about the same as the PSOne.
- The circuit board looks a little wider than the LCD, but it still looks like it'd fit nicely.
- 640 x 480 is the same resolution as a PSOne screen. That's what's an N64 and before output at most, I believe (NTSC standard?)
- VGA input, which can be converted from RGB, I believe, rather easily.
- Backlight: LED. As bright as most anti-glare laptop screens. 200 nit. My T61 screen puts out that much. Many others do as well. It's barely visible in sunlight, but is very nice indoors.
- WOW that viewing angle is high! Beats AEI Comp screens!
- Input voltage can go as low as 9 volts. I sense a regulator that can be bypassed. Possibly just a 7805 and 7808, or some nice step-down switching regulators. I ran into some today at solar car, while not amazing, they were board-mounted and 78% efficient, which could be improved by 20% with a TI regulator.

Omitted important details:

- Contrast Ratio.
- How many colours?
- Response Time?

TL;DR. Great find, I would love to buy some of those 8" for a project of mine. Assuming the contrast, colours, and response time are good. I'll ask. Did anyone buy any? This could be our next replacement for ever-rarer PSOne screens. After someone test-buys one, I suggest (but wouldn't be part of) a BenHeck group buy. You might even get a discount on them.

Also, I shot them the following email:
Hi there. Myself and many others are very interested in the LCDs you have for sale. If you could me with some further details, and perhaps a discounted sample LCD, I can assure you your business will profit from it. If it meets our standards, the expected gain for your company would be a permanent link on the forums on forums.benheck.com, and increased sales of approximately 10-30 LCDs per month.

As you can imagine, I am wary of purchasing what seems like a great LCD for such a good price, especially off of the internet, and especially from China. (No offense is meant, simply the majority of pirated goods and internet scams in our country are rooted in China). Any reassurance you may have would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to know the following information:
1) What is the refresh rate of this LCD? (And similar LCDs you have for sale)
2) What is the contrast ratio of this LCD? (And similar LCDs you have for sale)
3) How many colours can this screen display? Cna you provide an answer in bits? (ie. 8 bit colour, 16 bit colour, or 32 bit colour)

Thank you for your assistance, and on behalf of everyone from BenHeck.com, I wish us a strong future relationship. (Business would mainly stem from the USA, as well as Canada, and parts of Europe)

(You can view our discussion about your screens here: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 61#p341961)
Hey, sup?

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm double posting for two reasons: One, to show my excitement, Two, so you'll read all of what I have to say.

Looking through the datasheets, I found this:

- 4. Block Diagram. Get this. +12V converts to +5V for the video decoder, and +3.3V for the "flash" (Memory, perhaps?). The rest goes to "LED Backlight". With some modification, possibly without, depending on how the LEDs are wired, we might have a 5" 5 volt screen on our hands.

- The build looks to be of a high quality. Most low-quality LCDs have the look of low quality, something you kind of get attuned to.

- The datasheet is very complete, and even includes an engineering draft sheet that has dimensions, is drafted, inspected, and checked by three separate engineers, and has been properly dimensioned. (No over-dimensioning, an easy-to-overlook mistake).

- The datasheet has a full list of inspection standards, which are tigher than LG's standards.

- BUT still no mention of contrast, refresh rate, or colour.
Hey, sup?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Very very cool! I poked around the site, and the only main negative thought I have is this - what would the shipping be?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:40 am

I got a reply. Poor Annie is from Hong Kong, I'd say the english is satisfactory.
Dear Kurt Bernash,

Thanks for your enquiry firstly.
About our 5"digital tft lcd monitor,it is make of tft lcd panel and controller board.
This controller board can with video,or VGA input.
Could you tell me if you just need 5"tft lcd panel,or 5"tft lcd panel together with controller board?
Where will you use this product to?And what is your company do?
Please let me know your full requirement for our products.
In order to convenient me introduce our products as your requirement for you.
About your question,you can refer to attached spec.of AT050TN22 V.1,it is 16 bit colors.
I introduce our company for you now.
Our company main design and manufacture control/ad board compatible with 2.5"-10.4"TFT LCD Screen.
We have 2.5",3.5",4",5",5.6",7",8",10.2"and 10.4"TFT LCD Module now,they are make of tft lcd panel and Video/VGA controller board.
You can also visit our website www.szsjd.en.alibaba.com in advance.
Our TFT LCD Module are used for who make tft lcd monitor,car rear view mirror monitor,video door phones,videophones,
automobile/portable DVD player,advertising player,display instrument,etc.
We are one of the most famous TFT LCD solution supplier with good reputation.
We got ISO9001 certificate and most of products passed the ROHS standard and several of our engineers
have more than 20 years experience in this field.

We guarantee you high quality, competitive prices, on time delivery, and top notch customer service.
We have exported more than 1200k to Germany,Turkey,Brazil,USA,Poland,New Zealand,Israel,Iran etc.

If any questions you have,pls don't hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Annie Huang
Shenzhen Xinjiuding Optronics Technologies Co.,Ltd
South 2/F,Minlida Industry Park, Honghualing Industry Zone,
Xili,NanShan District,Shenzhen City 518055,China.
Tel: +86-755-8601-6101 Ext:828
Fax: +86-755-8601-1954
MSN: anniehuang0821@hotmail.com
Trademanager ID: cnszsjd
E-mail: sales@szsjd.com
www.szsjd.en.alibaba.com
Hey, sup?

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:45 am

Sorry, I'm going to be late for school and don't feel like hitting edit cuz I'm already ere.

Remember for 5V and 3.3V are needed, and the rest is for the backlight?

The backlight draws 8-10.5 volts at 18-22mA. That's EASILY a step-up regulator's job. We've found a 5V 5" screen!

Also, if you didn't read the email, note: 16-bit colour!

Response time 10-20 ms, when Toff, 20-30 ms (whatever that means).

Contrast ratio is 500:1m pretty standard for this type of LCD. Luminance is now 200 nit, with 75% uniformity. Looks like that 3M can still be handy.

I might go for one in about a month.
Hey, sup?

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Make sure to ask again about a sample!
This sounds promising.
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 pm

They export a lot to Israel and Iran...
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Scottery

Post by Scottery » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:01 pm

This sounds interesting, I hope somebody buys one of these to compare to the psone screen

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm working on this! Stay tuned!

Nevermind: So? Oh right, that means they must be terrorists plotting against America. Iran exports oil to you, that must mean you're a terrorist or trying to scam people, right? Your logic is fail.
Hey, sup?

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Kurt_ wrote:I'm working on this! Stay tuned!

Nevermind: So? Oh right, that means they must be terrorists plotting against America. Iran exports oil to you, that must mean you're a terrorist or trying to scam people, right? Your logic is fail.

Not necessarily; they could be. There are terrorists (or nationalists) over there, though
It's just somewhat ironic that they were right next to each other when it's not in alphabetical order. The president of Iran said he wanted to destroy Israel and their relationship isn't too friendly.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:08 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:
Kurt_ wrote:I'm working on this! Stay tuned!

Not necessarily; they could be. There are terrorists (or nationalists) over there, though
It's just somewhat ironic that they were right next to each other when it's not in alphabetical order. The president of Iran said he wanted to destroy Israel and their relationship isn't too friendly.
Does it really matter? No i don't think so. The worst thing you can do is buy chinese crap.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."