Check this out

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
Check this out

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:52 pm

http://cvs.shoplocal.com/cvs/Default.as ... 2090306305

It has a coax jack, built in Digital TV tuner, remote control, AC/DC jack and rechargeable Li-poly battery 3.6v 2600mAh, composite AV jacks (L & R Audio and Video). Pretty lite as well.

My Uncle just bought it and I tried out my N64 on it, pretty nice resolution, I only tried Zelda Ocarina of Time but it cut off a little bit on the sides because of some setting, but it was still pretty good quality.

I just think it would be nice for a portable that you would want to settle for a 7 inch screen and a little bit of compatibility to watch TV or something on.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Re: Check this out

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Sweet! Probably do a number on battery life, though.

If you planned it out in advance, you could probably keep the TV functionality on it.
- don't connect the solder points to always accept input
- ensure the antenna can still be used
- keep channel-changing buttons

You could even make a "channel button" - basically, press and hold that button and press "A" or "B" to channel up and down. That'd be sweet.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:27 pm

It would be an interesting working portable if I had the skills to do so. lol XD

I was thinking if you kept with the battery you can keep the screen running on it's own power source, but then again it would be a pain to have 2 chargers to power your portable. Maybe this would work on that modular screen idea that was posted earlier.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:13 am

Btw this is the screens I've been talking about. Got a hot deal on Ebay for 10 units, so if I have issues with screens I guess i got pleny to work with. I would say especially that I now have enough to make like every portable lol. Keep an eye out on the trading post i may sell one or two.

The screen is 12v(max 12) DC of course, probably around 1amp, sadly I did not realize that they have a transformer and use a cold cathode tube for lighting, but its nothing a few LEDs won't fix to cut down on power consumption. I do believe they are made by Sharp, or at least the driver board is sporting a controller chip made by Sharp. Currently i'm looking for the regulator on it, if it has one to see if LEDs can be wired to the driver board. They are only around 1/2 an inch thick, they have a 5" screen, the resolution is 960 x 234 i believe, and the driver board and all are neatly tucked under the unit and are of equal size so no need for chopping up mobos.

Oh and if you noticed the cable in the picture, they did come with a wire harness that makes for easy usage!

Now the auction had a hook to it, they where not tested, but never the less I still got a good deal. Now i only say that is because when I first received them I tested them "all" with a Lithium Ion battery pack (output 9v 2600mAH) and well a camcorder with an AV output.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:27 pm

So does the screen run off that internal 3.7v battery? That is quite low for a screen of this size. :shock:

Also, are you sure it is not LED backlit? I know it has those wires, but usually the LEDs are run in series, and need voltages running up to 25-35v.

If you could I would check the actual lightbox and make sure it is CCFL.

Excellent

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I'll see about opening one up soon.