Simple Guide to Powering Screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
Simple Guide to Powering Screen

Post by rikitheshadow » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm

I need links and/or simple diagrams in which I can use to create a power solution to the 7.5v PSone screen.

I've heard of several ways of powering it, using a step down regulator, or wiring up a circuit with a typical regulator to create the 7.5v

I'm aware this probably has been posted several times, but it would make it easier to have the most links in one thread then having to search through multiple threads.

Typically i know the input voltage doesn't make a big diff, but I have this portable dvd battery pack, lithium ion 9.6v output with 2600mhA but i don't want it to fry my screen, though i have 3 on hand, they may become more difficult in time considering this new hobby is picking up fast.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Simple Guide to Powering Screen

Post by hailrazer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:07 pm

rikitheshadow wrote:I need links and/or simple diagrams in which I can use to create a power solution to the 7.5v PSone screen.

I've heard of several ways of powering it, using a step down regulator, or wiring up a circuit with a typical regulator to create the 7.5v

I'm aware this probably has been posted several times, but it would make it easier to have the most links in one thread then having to search through multiple threads.

Typically i know the input voltage doesn't make a big diff, but I have this portable dvd battery pack, lithium ion 9.6v output with 2600mhA but i don't want it to fry my screen, though i have 3 on hand, they may become more difficult in time considering this new hobby is picking up fast.
Use a 7808 , search it.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

rikitheshadow

Question

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 am

Ok, considering a 7808 regulator has an output of 8volts, that will not fry my screen right? Only a .5v difference but I would hate to build this, and then have to go and replace the screen later on because it was too much of a load.

Please be gentle, newbe at this stuff

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Yes, the 7808 will work. The PSone screen can take up to just under 9 volts.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:38 pm

actually, 9 volts will work. It's the hghest the screen can take before frying. 9.1 volts would be too much, for example.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

rikitheshadow

COOL

Post by rikitheshadow » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Very cool guys Thank You, heh now i just need to find the regulator and few more parts, make a case and i'm set. oh yeah and solder a crap load of terminals......=P

Hey btw anyone know a good place to buy some 3mm white LEDs, i got like 6 free from a guy here on the forums, but Radio Shack does not carry em.
Tempted to buy a crud load from one of those bulk vendors, digikey i think.

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:00 pm

It's always best to buy a big batch of super bright LEDs. You can get them cheaper per LED that way plus you will always have some on hand for random projects.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Life of Brian wrote:It's always best to buy a big batch of super bright LEDs. You can get them cheaper per LED that way plus you will always have some on hand for random projects.
AMEN
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724