Kyo's big screen trimming guide [PAL] [unfinished] [56k]

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Let's settle this per PM

jjhammerstein

Post by jjhammerstein » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Huzzah for diplomacy!
GET FREE WOW GOLD SEX VISIT MODRETRO

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 pm

i love how you're somehow in this argument without having anything to do with it

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:18 pm

I like the guide so far. Can't wait for zenloc to tell us how he chopped that whole top part off. :shock:

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:46 pm

schmellyfart wrote:I like the guide so far. Can't wait for zenloc to tell us how he chopped that whole top part off. :shock:
Not that I've tried it or have any experience yet, but from what I've read I think you just chop it off since you don't need any of it with the LED mod.

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:12 am

deviouskoopa is correct. You coud relocate the whole thing with minimal wires but what's the point(for the people that want to keep stock backlighting). This is just very usefull for led modders.

I will post a pic with a cut line. You don't need to rewire anything as the whole top circuit is used for the backlichting and the led on the right side of the board.

Since that only goes on just to show you that's it's on it's useless so I decided to cut it off.

BEFORE ANYBODY VENTURES IN THIS I HAVE MORE TESTS TO DO!!!

I haven't tested everything possible. I'll triple check everyhting today though.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:34 am

zenloc, let's work together to include this in the guide, yes?

I'll try this out as well. It's really useful information, especially for relocation, I can't believe all those chips up there are for nothing more than the backlight. I assume that you just follow the big dark green line on the back of the board when cutting, am I right? (with being able to chop off some more on the right of it)

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:27 am

Correct Kyo. Here are sum pictures of stuff you can cut off. Most of it you have already done. Excuse my crap foto's hahah bad telefoon cam.

I can say with 100& certainty that the top can be cut of without any relocation whatsoever. Everthing works perfectly. Sound, brightness, compostie and rgb. don't look at the lines at the bottom since the might not be entirely correct check kyo's pics for the correct ones

I tested about everything and nothing is affected by this.

Kyo feel free to make some new pictures since you cam is def better than mine :D

If people are interested i also have a smaller psone screen which works perfectly but requires more reallocating. Not really worth it unless you want the entire mobo to fit behind the lcd. SO nothing will stick out(including the sound chip on the side) :wink:

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:56 am

you can also trim off a tiny bit on the right side, it's not much, but it is a few millimeters. This information will definitely be included once I get to the "led-modded screens" part of the guide. For now, I have to redo the work on my second board.

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:07 am

thanks! but take your time though no rush. If people really want a small psone board the'll do their research and figuer it out.

Time to make this board as small a possible. (relocating time :twisted: )

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:59 am

my boards get the weirdest defects. Right now my board is only displaying the right image (and not just fuzzyness) when I apply pressure to the part that is sticking out on the right of the board. Weird, maybe it's making some kind of short that is needed. I'm figuring it out.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:26 pm

I know for a few of us, our sound breaks beyond repair. (I just bought a separate audio amp).

You should make an additional guide saying what can be removed in certain cases such as this.
Hey, sup?

Liuhuparta

Post by Liuhuparta » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 am

zenloc wrote: I can say with 100% certainty that the top can be cut of without any relocation whatsoever. Everthing works perfectly. Sound, brightness, compostie and rgb.
Does the brightness controls still work? I'm not sure, what you meant with by saying only "brightness". I'm planning to make the led mod but I still would like to control the brightness of the screen.

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Volume and brightness buttons work perfectly. Ofcourse you have to relocate the button to use it :wink: . In an couple of days I'm gonna post some pics and a little guide.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:43 pm

out of interest, how do you cut the mobo? saw?