Psone screens, Zenith screens, and.....Madcatz screens? 56k

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 pm

bacteria wrote:You are better just keeping the the standard 7-8v power deviouskoopa, as the PSone screen is designed to take; not via the regulator, unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.
Oh ok, so use the same configuration as the PSone for the Madcatz screen, giving it ~7.5v, even though it requires 9v?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:24 pm

it doesn't require 9v, that's just what it takes. If you remove the regulator which lowers the 9v, it won't be able to take 9v.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:25 pm

It does not really need 9v, it uses a regulator to step down the voltage to 7.5v from the 9v adapter.

Just hook wires up to where the psone screen power usually goes.

Excellent

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Kyo wrote:it doesn't require 9v, that's just what it takes. If you remove the regulator which lowers the 9v, it won't be able to take 9v.
Oh ok, so I should give it 7-8v into the regulator or without it? If you can't tell, I've never hacked up an LCD screen before :)

deviouskoopa

Post by deviouskoopa » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Okay so I don't need the regulator since my batteries are 7.2-7.5v.

I understand now, sorry

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:27 am

Like I said on our PM's Kyo - I only bought one, even though you tried to persuade me to buy more as they are on offer - as I already have a crap non PSone screen (also for PS2 BTW) I was cautious about buying a crap one again. The official Sony PSone screens are regarded as being the best after all, so worth paying a bit more for.

Oh well, will test mine when it arrives and hopefully, if it isn't crap will use it for something. No point sending it back, costs in postage, and if they sold it in correct description they are not under obligation to refund. For 40€ you can get a proper PSone screen, unused.

If mine is the Chinese one you mention, I will open it up anyway and report findings.

Hey, no problem, it's only a few quid, so not important: i'm just pleased I didn't buy a few at the same time and trusted my instincts instead.

DK - give us your findings too when you get yours.

DK

Post by DK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:45 am

Bac, findings may be difficult to give. I'm getting it delivered to my Uni halls and i don't have any of my electronics gear there. Might have to resort to a big rock and penknife.

Or I can smuggle my dremel, iron, multimeter and screwdrivers down. Have to hide them or the cleaners will confiscate them. :lol:

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 am

Usually, if its madkatz its an official product thats in disguise. :P.

Madcatz is known just to take stuff and rebrand it and do a few small modifications.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:56 am

bacteria wrote:Like I said on our PM's Kyo - I only bought one, even though you tried to persuade me to buy more as they are on offer - as I already have a crap non PSone screen (also for PS2 BTW) I was cautious about buying a crap one again. The official Sony PSone screens are regarded as being the best after all, so worth paying a bit more for.

Oh well, will test mine when it arrives and hopefully, if it isn't crap will use it for something. No point sending it back, costs in postage, and if they sold it in correct description they are not under obligation to refund. For 40€ you can get a proper PSone screen, unused.

If mine is the Chinese one you mention, I will open it up anyway and report findings.

Hey, no problem, it's only a few quid, so not important: i'm just pleased I didn't buy a few at the same time and trusted my instincts instead.

DK - give us your findings too when you get yours.
I didn't try to make you anything, I was just pointing out that the price has dropped. Yeah, I guess you're right, but in germany, you can only rarely get screens for less than 40. I'm sending the two screens back (as one has a defective part), and I'll probably buy some more after they're back, I'm just going to take that risk.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:39 am

I got the taller one delivered, the "other one" - the Chinese one...

Open, darn you!

Naked:

Humm, screen is quite a good size.

Smaller board than the PSone screen board, but 24mm thick, including screen.

Comparison against PSone screen mobo:

Not tried to see its quality. It's also composite only.

Dimensions of screen and board: 135 x 112 x 24mm

Interesting.....

If it has a good image, worth considering. Would save having to re-wire a PSone screen mobo to make a smaller board (assuming you only want composite of course and not RGB).

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:21 pm

you will probably need the blue board as well. That ain't just a power regulator. Now, the quality is bearable if it's not THAT important to you, but it's really no comparison to the psone screen. Good thing you were cautious. What I also noticed is that it has a weird layout. It's not 16:9, but it's not 4:3 either.

Also, I'd make sure it can really just take composite. The psone screen ones don't have RGB in either, but it may just be able to take RGB. the best place to look would be datasheets for the chips on the boards.

DSFARGEG

Post by DSFARGEG » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:54 pm

I have almost the exact same screen, but it was an Intec gamecube one. It no longer works though...

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:13 pm

I don't have the time to look for datasheets for RGB for the screen, if anyone knows the answer for that screen, please post!

Kyo - the PSone does have RGB in (well documented, as per pic below); the PSone screen doesn't have S-video though and can only be modded to take it with PAL screens.

NB - this is the widely accepted pinout, however it is incorrect - the RGB audio on pins 9 and 10 are the wrong way around, pin 10 is right not left.

This is correct:

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:46 am

I obviously know that. C'mon. You misunderstood me. What I was saying was that the screens sold on that site, though able to take RGB as they are PSOne screens, only take composite. (no rgb in port)

If you don't want to bother checking the screen, I might (if I can't get them returned).

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:18 pm

I will check the screen in due course. Concentrating on my current project at the moment.

Correction - screen and mobo together are 28mm thick; also, as you say, the second board is needed too.

Just out of interest, put the assembly into my case, would fit, but no space for joysticks, although space for d-pad and opposite side as well as speakers. That means that screen would only be useful to me for a NES or maybe SNES or GP2x or similar - something which doesn't need joysticks. Also wondering if can use lower voltage than the 12v it wants; ie if it goes to a 7805 or similar for power.

This is why it will be a while before I investigate - will take a bit of prodding and probing.

Might mean I use it for the project with Ben Cebhrem possibly...