Pocket PSone Screen - Finished

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_
Pocket PSone Screen - Finished

Post by Zeturi » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:09 pm

I know, the whole point of the Psone screen is for use in making a portable console. And for what I'm doing to this screen, I might as well just buy a pocket TV.
I'm just beginning electronic hacking, though, so I want to practice with a simple project like this. Really, all I'm doing is adding the Composite RCA inputs so I can use it with all my game consoles, possibly adding a rechargable battery, and using some bondo to semi-make a new casing.
But since I've already fried a Psone screen before by putting in 12 volts, I want to share what I plan to do (and how I'm doing it) to ensure I don't break another screen.

1st: The pinout of the Slot 2 controller card is Video, Right Audio, Left Audio, and then ground. So when I solder everything together, should I ground all the RCA wires to the fourth ground pin on the controller card? Sorry if it sounds obvious, but I'm totally new to all this.

2nd: I have some C sized batterys from an old Intec Gamecube battery pack, which were able to power the screen and gamecube for about an hour. (I took 6 batteries from it, which will give me 7.2v to run it.) Since the Gamecube is out of the picture, this should be able to power the screen for at LEAST two hours. I'll read a little more on the forums about wiring a power switch or button to the screen.

3rd: I'm pretty confident that I can find out how to use bondo on my own, but what paint do you guys suggest using? I'm probably going to go with a black and silver theme, maybe black and blue, or if it gets too tough, then just black.

I think this sounds okay, but since I'm a beginner with all this, I'd like to get an okay from more experienced people. I'd hate to waste another screen, or blow up more batteries. =p

EDIT: Since I got this working, I'm going to continue my abandoned NES portable. Thanks SS and Kyo!

EDIT: Yeah, I should've known about the deletion thing, I read just about everything for NES and Gamecube forums.
Last edited by Zeturi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Well, I managed to get video going. I think, then, that I can get audio going. Mods feel free to lock or delete this post, whatever you guys want to do. =P

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:17 pm

You know, if you LED mod the screen, you should get at least 2 hours from a 1 amp 7.2v battery pack! Chances are, the gc batteries had more than that.

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:58 am

3 hours, actually. The LED-modded screen uses about 300 mA

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:15 am

I might do the LED mod. I'm a bit nervous about attempting it, though, since my soldering skills aren't so good. It'd be great to get a better battery life, though.... I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, I've two LCDs to mess around with. Thanks for the help, guys.

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:50 am

Let me comfort you by telling you that it's fairly easy and completely reversible. (minus some holes you cut through metal and plastic, but who cares)

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks for the link in your sig, Kyo. I got sound after I soldering the 5th, 6th, and 7th pins together on the second controller card. Sound loud enough to make the screen almost shake!
Also, until I buy some AAs to make a smaller battery pack, I'm just going to use wall power for the time being. Once I get the battery pack, I'll attempt an LED mod.
I might make the base of the original ps1 screen a bit longer in the back so that I can safely stand it up. Afterwards, probably just glue the power port and RCA ports to the back and start painting.
Oh, and I'll post some pics once I can find a cheapie camera. :)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:42 pm

Just so you know, on a site like this, no need to tell mods to delete your topic once you have your question answered.project done. How else would people learn? :P

The best way to sum it up is: This is not GameFaqs. :lol:

Excellent

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:03 pm

Yes, If all old topics were deleted, then there would be a lot of useful imformation lost.
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:00 am

Zeturi wrote:Thanks for the link in your sig, Kyo. I got sound after I soldering the 5th, 6th, and 7th pins together on the second controller card. Sound loud enough to make the screen almost shake!
Also, until I buy some AAs to make a smaller battery pack, I'm just going to use wall power for the time being. Once I get the battery pack, I'll attempt an LED mod.
I might make the base of the original ps1 screen a bit longer in the back so that I can safely stand it up. Afterwards, probably just glue the power port and RCA ports to the back and start painting.
Oh, and I'll post some pics once I can find a cheapie camera. :)
No problemo!
I'm always glad to hear it could help. Put a lot of effort in there.