Psone Led mod darker than original backlight

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

footinmouth
Psone Led mod darker than original backlight

Post by footinmouth » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:33 pm

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here, I'm using the three LEDS and the 10 ohm resistor. The screen is still quite dark, I can barely see where I'm going in the boulder level of crash bandicoot, the LEDs are wired in parallel. I got the LEDs from superbrightleds.com, does anyone know if theres a certain site that sells better 3mm white LEDs? I'm really confused as to why the light is so dull, from looking through the cracks in the lcd backlight housing it looks like theyre as bright as they can get. :?

64M320N3

Re: Psone Led mod darker than original backlight

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 am

Yo man I ran into this problem too...
You can trick the screen into making it brighter by bypassing the component "CV23". To do this just ad a bit of wire around the component.
It's beside the copper oval shape with "SB3.57954" on it.
See if that helps. :D
If you've already done that... well, try to get LEDs with a higher mcd rating- try Digikey...

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:31 pm

Just want to verify what 64M3 said, bypassing that component will make your picture brighter. Don't be weary of his 1 post :D

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Valium wrote:Just want to verify what 64M3 said, bypassing that component will make your picture brighter. Don't be weary of his 1 post :D
thats just what I did! but it still lacks brightness, I tried it on brighter games besides crash bandicoot but still no. I'll check my connections

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Any idea what the rating of your LEDs are? There are LEDs of different brightness.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 pm

I have this same problem. I bypassed the CV23, and my LEDs are 13,000mcd, and the screen is still a little dark. I guess I just have to deal with it...

Valium

Post by Valium » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm sure you all remember trying to play the Gameboy or the Gameboy color without much light. You got used to it didn't you?

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by bacteria » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:16 am

I prefer using unmodded screens personally, uniform light levels and as bright as intended: however, consider using 6 LED's instead of 3, you will get more light and more even light that way. I think some members here have used 6 LED's instead of 3 or 4.

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:48 am

bacteria wrote:I prefer using unmodded screens personally, uniform light levels and as bright as intended: however, consider using 6 LED's instead of 3, you will get more light and more even light that way. I think some members here have used 6 LED's instead of 3 or 4.
I use 6 Led's. I think they are 15,000 mcd and with the brightness mod it looks almost as good as the original backlight and it's just as bright. Of course even if you diffuse them you still get slightly brighter areas. And the original backlight still looks more uniform. So with my newest build I stuck with the original backlight.

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:48 am

I use 4 13k MCD leds and it looks fine to me.... :?:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:07 am

Rekarp wrote:I use 4 13k MCD leds and it looks fine to me.... :?:
Looks fine and looks as good as or better than the original backlight are two totally different things. :D

Rekarp
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 am

hailrazer wrote:
Rekarp wrote:I use 4 13k MCD leds and it looks fine to me.... :?:
Looks fine and looks as good as or better than the original backlight are two totally different things. :D
Well saving 400mA is completely worth the move from "looks as good" to "looks fine". In most cases that doubles the battery life of a portable.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 am

Rekarp wrote:
Well saving 400mA is completely worth the move from "looks as good" to "looks fine". In most cases that doubles the battery life of a portable.
As for me I'd rather have the best looking screen possible. Trying to play games for 2-3 hours on a washed out looking screen, or low contrast screen, or dark screen will give me a headache real quick.

I'll sacrifice play time for less eye strain any day..

That being said the 6 led mod I've done is darn close to the original backlight. Just a little less uniform lighting, but most people wouldn't notice. I can play on it for quite a while and not notice any problems.