The Lynx deserves a better screen.

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

ArugulaZ
The Lynx deserves a better screen.

Post by ArugulaZ » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:05 am

However, is it feasible to replace the one built into the system? This is likely beyond my skill as a hacker, but I'd still like to know if it could be done. Ideally, the screen would be replaced with the one inside the later VG Pocket systems, as these units are seriously cheap while the quality of the screens are seriously high.

While we're on the subject, is there any way to micronize a Lynx console? How large is the PCB in the system, and can it be shaved down to fit inside a smaller case? Years of puny portables like the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS have made me reluctant to go back to the not-so-good old days of big honkin' handhelds.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Re: The Lynx deserves a better screen.

Post by Rekarp » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:50 am

ArugulaZ wrote:However, is it feasible to replace the one built into the system? This is likely beyond my skill as a hacker, but I'd still like to know if it could be done. Ideally, the screen would be replaced with the one inside the later VG Pocket systems, as these units are seriously cheap while the quality of the screens are seriously high.

While we're on the subject, is there any way to micronize a Lynx console? How large is the PCB in the system, and can it be shaved down to fit inside a smaller case? Years of puny portables like the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS have made me reluctant to go back to the not-so-good old days of big honkin' handhelds.
Already looked into this. The Lynx uses a proprietary interface for the LCD and uses an odd system of scanlines that is completely incompatible with other LCDs and TVs. The only way to do it would be to load the video data into some video ram and process it line by line to convert it into a signal that modern LCDs can read.

Also the lynx is as small as it can get. I've opened up both the Lynx 1 and 2 and they are both filled with electronics.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

ArugulaZ

Post by ArugulaZ » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks for the information! So I guess the only options are either emulation or a Lynx on a chip, eh? I would love a Lynx emulator for the Game Boy Advance... that way, you could play all the games on a Game Boy Micro, and the chunky resolution would no longer be an issue because the screen is so small.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:22 pm

No problem
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."