Dual aspect ratio?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
Dual aspect ratio?

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:11 pm

I've been looking for some screen that range from 5-9 inches. There are a ton of these on ebay, but I don't don't know if this whole 16:9 <> 4:3 aspect ratio thing will work.

I'm hoping to use it with systems like my Flashback, or SNES, NES, ect. So do you guys think this will work or not?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 pm

They will usually work, but the image is stretched to fit the screen. Unless, of course, the system outputs widescreen.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Some widescreens have a 4:3 mode that doesn't stretch the image and just has black bars on the sides.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:59 am

NES games dont look half bad on my 34" 16:9 LCD Tv. Im sure it will be find for a portable.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:41 am

the main issue wil be the gamwes you have played many times before, they will just look differnt if they stretch the image, on the other hand, games you never played will look new regardless and the difference is negligible
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:13 pm

I've gotten used to the stretching over the years, it just doesn't bother me anymore. Well, with exception of letterboxed video being stretched horizontally, instead of zoomed and scaled to fit.