Found a good screen for ZN-40 (56k!)

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Billybb347
Found a good screen for ZN-40 (56k!)

Post by Billybb347 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:30 pm

I just bought a ZN-40 and PSOne Screen look-a-like from polycase and eBay, respectively. I was getting my cutting utensils out to make it fit in the case when I surprisingly found out that I didn't need to cut the screen up. :o
It turns out that it is the precursor to the PSOne screen that we all know and love. And thus it's only 4" not 5", thats probably why it can fit.

Now the only problem is that i don't know which leads to solder stuff to.
The yellow wire is definitely composite video as I traced it back to the A/V-in slot. Black and red probably mean power, and there is a Black wire (in the pic above) that goes directly from the AC adapter to the stuff that powers the light bulb.

What do the white wires with red stripes mean (is there a standard for these type of wires, like how video is yellow and power is red and black)?
There's also this black tape stuff all over the wires on the circuit board stopping me from seeing where all of the wires go.
Last edited by Billybb347 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SNESp Progress:
Have Screen fits perfectly, now to figure out how it works...
Motherboard (Fried) FC Twin & Mini SNES
Batteries 7.2V 2000mAh & 2x 9.6V 700mAh
Case ZN-40
Electronics came!

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:52 pm

my audiovox ex-50 works fine for the case also =)

Billybb347

Post by Billybb347 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:14 pm

Has anyone else used this screen? I want to check if I have the right pinouts for the screen

Do you think that it could have inputs for RGB?
SNESp Progress:
Case ZN-40
Electronics came!

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 am

I would stick to composite if you can't find out from the forums, and not go messing it all up.

Yellow is composite. Usually Red and White are L/R audio, but since red also seems to be a power wire (I believe red is something like 5-9V), the white and red-striped ones are probably audio.

Black is ground. Always. Double-check though, if it's an old screen from some child-labour camp they might have changed the colours' meanings. :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that screen is the oval intec PSOne screen, right?

Those are the standard connections.

Green appears to connect directly to the speakers. And the rest is too much of a mess to make out. But it looks like one white wire also goes to a speaker (the one on the left).
Hey, sup?

Mario

Post by Mario » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:57 am

Wow, that looks like a great screen! How much did it cost?

Billybb347

Post by Billybb347 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info, I think I will stick with composite video. I just think that it could have RGB because there are three pins not used and the board and next to the PSOne input it says RGB (not pictured).

The screen was a Pelican 4" PSOne screen. I got it on ebay for $29 with $20 shipping. Their is an auction for the same screen and battery pack (for the PSOne) for a little more money on ebay.
SNESp Progress:
Case ZN-40
Electronics came!

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:24 pm

If you can figure out which pins are RGB, get a colourful game and start mixing and matching until you get the right 4 pins connected.
Hey, sup?