TI calculator screen?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
TI calculator screen?

Post by ghosstt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:37 pm

hi, i was looking around on the forums, and seeing as i dont have much money to start building my snesp, im thinking of doing a cheap mini project. The idea came from these forums. Im thinking of taking a dead TI calculator, and fitting it with some gameboy color, or gameboy pocket insides. i know that the TI screen cant display color, but can it display GBC games in black and white? and is even possible to run it to the TI screen? if not, what do you think a good, cheap screen would be?

Thanks,

ghost

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:42 pm

No, and it woyldn't fit.
Hey, sup?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:44 pm

Put a gbasp or a gbc inside

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:45 pm

you dont think that a gameboy color mobo could fit in the TI 83 case?! i think it would fit and have room to spare.. :?

no? my sister has one, so ill go check the dimensions later. lets say it does fit, theres no way to run it off the TI screen? hmm.. guess id have to rewire it to a diff screen then.

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:22 pm

Here's a thought, using the gameboy's screen!:roll:
And I would suggest using a gba-sp if you can get your hands on one. They are smaller than the gbc and have a bigger library of games and they are backwards compatible.
Meh, I don't post much.

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:32 pm

Use a GBA SP - it's screen fits the screen hole on the TI PERFECTLY! I made this project for a friend - the kart loads through the battery opening on the calc, and the charge port is in there too. Link cable goes out the bottom where there was formerly a link port on the calc.

The project requires LOTS of epoxy/bondo/insert adhesive here to work, as the SP board requires you to remove all the screw posts.

I have no pictures (sorry!) and I don't know if a Gameboy color would work, but good luck!

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:39 pm

johnbjuice wrote:Use a GBA SP - it's screen fits the screen hole on the TI PERFECTLY! I made this project for a friend - the kart loads through the battery opening on the calc, and the charge port is in there too. Link cable goes out the bottom where there was formerly a link port on the calc.

The project requires LOTS of epoxy/bondo/insert adhesive here to work, as the SP board requires you to remove all the screw posts.

I have no pictures (sorry!) and I don't know if a Gameboy color would work, but good luck!
cool, i was thinking of doing a load in the battery compartment! :D well, if i can pick up one of the new backlight gbasps for real cheap, im going to do this. were did you need to bondo epoxy everything?

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Well...

In order for everything to fit, you have to literally remove ALL the screwposts, ALL the innards, ect.

I used a dremel and a pair of pliers, and it still took forever.

There are heavy modifications you need to make to the battery compartment too - oh I wish I had my TI-83boy now to show you!

Since there aren't any posts to hold the thing together, I ended up using bondo and epoxy to seal the whole thing together.

PS: Get a Tri-Wing screwdriver to open the gameboy. You won't regret loosing those $3.