LED backlight mod good for a regular GBA?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

wallydawg
LED backlight mod good for a regular GBA?

Post by wallydawg » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:21 pm

dunno where else to put this, but I'm thinking of getting a regular GBA (the non-sp one). Since the first GBA doesn't have a backlight, I'm thinking of doing the LED mod to it. Is this possible?

poppe

Post by poppe » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:45 pm

you should just use the afterburner kit

Stooge

Post by Stooge » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:38 am

the Afterburner was hard to install but I don't think a led mod would get the light centered. http://www.lik-sang.com sell an afterburner kit which comes with a front plate so you don't need you to hack up the case of you GBA. I used it and it was prety simple just watch out for dust in the screen.

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:07 pm

Yeha I've known about the afterburner for a while now; it was my second choice. The only reason I was thinking of the LED mod instead is it would prolly be cheaper.

I'm looking at Lik-Sang right now; when you buy the case mod thing do you get the afterburner with it too or do you have to buy it seperately? :?:

Talking about this thing...

Stooge

Post by Stooge » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:00 pm

that case dosen't come with the afterburner but this pack does http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... s_id=2419&

abbibi

Post by abbibi » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:56 am

You can't backlight the GBA. But it can be frontlit. That's actually how the GBA SP is lit. And the only nice way to internally light the GBA is with the Afterburner kit.
The Portables of Doom!
PortablesofDoom.org

MR.MOD

Post by MR.MOD » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:43 pm

I afterburned my gba. It was really good when it first came out. The sp lighting is better though.